Allocating gear to one activity, without making it the default.

Good Day. I have 2 active pairs of running shoes added to my profile. 1 for road, and 1 for trail. Majority of my running is on road, so the road shoes are the default.
If I run a trail route today and synchronize my watch (Forerunner 35), how do I allocate the trail shoe to that activity? I don't want to change the trail shoes to become the default.
Thanks in advance.

Top Replies

All Replies

• I agree! Why have all these options for different types of activities if you can only assign gear to the generic description of an activity. Even just being able to assign trail to trail and road to run would be loads better for most users. 

• ON a PC you cant change the shoes; when you click on it only shows your default shoe, which is not the shoe I use every run. Then it only gives one option: manage gear - not what I want. I want to change the shoe on my run. My workaround is to ignore the gear feature since it doesn't allow for more than one shoe; it's only good if you wear one shoe every run from a certain date.

My suggestion: just ask some runners to try software for a while and make suggestions, note pain points and frustration points, and make the software as intuitive as possible. Good UI/UX designers do this routinely; Garmin needs to catch up here, just as in security issues. Watch users use the software, film it, watch when they wince, swear, throw up their hands. And fix the problems. Garmin might even be able to add some innovative new features that runners suggest. It's not a criticism of programmers; they can't know everything about running and runners' preferences.

• ON a PC you cant change the shoes; when you click on it only shows your default shoe, which is not the shoe I use every run. Then it only gives one option: manage gear - not what I want. I want to change the shoe on my run. My workaround is to ignore the gear feature since it doesn't allow for more than one shoe; it's only good if you wear one shoe every run from a certain date.

It works for me. When I click on "Gear:" (near the top) or "Change Gear" (in the right sidebar), it shows me my two pairs of active shoes (which haven't been retired.)

I agree that Garmin's UI/UX has a lot of room for improvement tho.

As a test, I added a 3rd pair of shoes (not default), and they show up too.

I wonder if you're seeing a bug that I'm not seeing.

• ON a PC you cant change the shoes;

I do it every day without any issues. On a PC.