This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why are swim workouts not supported in the API?

Come on Garmin; get it together.  Why are swimming and strength workouts the red-headed step children of activity types?  From Training Peaks:

Your workouts built with the Structured Workout Builder should sync to your Garmin Connect account. Once your workouts are in Garmin Connect, they should sync to your Garmin device. However, please note, swim workouts and strength workouts are not exportable to Garmin devices at this time. This has to do with a limitation on the Garmin workout screen not working with either of those sport types. The current compatible workout types with the new Garmin Integration are Run, Bike, Cross-train, Mtn Bike, Custom, XC-Ski, Rowing, Other, and Walk.

I'm not sure what the demand for pre-planned cross country ski workouts are, but I have a difficult time believing it's more than swimming or strength training.  Looking at the training plans offered by Garmin Connect, I don't see any, but there are a lot that include swimming.  And nope - none of those come in either!  They show up as a note on your calendar and that's it.  My watch supports swimming.  Please get the supporting software caught up.

• Any update on this?? Would love to know why this is not possible.... 

• I'm in the same boat here

• I may be wrong, but since you can use the built-in strength and swimming workouts on Garmin without problems, I would tell that it is simply a problem of Training Peaks not sending the data properly structured to the API. They blame it on the "limitation on the Garmin workout screen", but that sounds like a strange argument, since Garmin's own workout can get along with it all right. Perhaps you could ask TP what exactly the limitation of the screen means, and why they cannot structure the swimming and strength workouts in the same way Garmin does.

• Yeah; I think you're wrong.

If the API supported swimming I would expect Garmin to implement it properly on their own training plans and they haven't done that. If you schedule a triathlon plan on Connect the swim workouts don't come in properly either. They come in as comments instead of workouts, and thus don't transfer to your device.

This isn't a Training Peaks problem. This is a Garmin problem.

• Yes, it looks like you are right. I just tested uploading a pool workout, and it indeed does not pass through. Sorry for that.

• The issue with the Garmin triathlon training plans is not related to the API. Those training plans are fairly old and were first made available before Garmin started supporting structured swim workouts on their devices, so having the swim workout as a comment was the best option at the time. Garmin has chosen not to update the plans to change the swims to actual workouts. There are threads discussing this issue from before the new API was implemented.

Not saying it's not possibly an API issue that's responsible for Training Peaks not being able to send swim workouts, just saying that the Garmin training plans aren't evidence of that.

• armin has chosen not to update the plans to change the swims to actual workouts.

Thanks for the info. However, for the testing, I tried creating a swimming workout in GC, not using a training plan. And I still did not manage to upload it. True, I did not try to troubleshoot it too hard, or to look up for a solution, because it was just for the test, so it is possible that I omitted something. Do you use swim workouts, and can you upload them to the watch?

• Yes, I do use swim workouts and I'm able to send them to my watch. I've done it both by sending a single workout and also by scheduling workouts on the calendar. That's my preferred way to do swim workouts, that way the watch prompts me for each set vs having to bring a card to the pool or memorize it.

• When did the swim supporting API roll out?

• Are you pulling down structured swim workouts from Training Peaks? I just bought a plan and cannot get them to sink. The Bike and Runs come down but not the swims for me.