Garmin Connect sync to "Google Fit" and "Samsung Health"

Garmin Connect is a great sports tracking app. But a lot of people also want other features that are more health oriented. And this is where sending data from Garmin Connect to a service like Samsung Health or Google Fit comes in place.

Link to the answer poll (time to complete is around 10 seconds): https://forms.gle/C3Mj5pe4GEM8R6wSA (Google Polls because it gives option to gather answers from multiple sources like Facebook, Twitter,...)
Please share the poll with friends who also use Garmin Connect

Thank you for your contribution
  • I'm investigating and also posted similar on this forum. Garmin can also be much better but...my Samsung Galaxy smartphone "reads" the Steps whereas my Garmin Fenix can't (pushing a cart or other activities where I walk but my harm is still). Well...there is no absolute way to import that into Garmin Connect nor the other way around, so to have all in one place. In Connected App in both Apps...they "ignore" each other ! So I'm living with two apps, Connect and Health and weekly summing up the steps..don't know who's guilty here, Garmin or Samsung, but really the clients is the last poor element of the chain nowadays :-)

• Did anyone get stuck on the screen in Health Sync when attempting to give permission to the Garmin Connect app? It won't open the Connect app to the page that it's supposed to open after hitting "OK".

• I would like to connect to Google health

• Yes, I am having the same issue, did you resolve this?

• I am having exactly the same issue.

• Might not be the same for you but I managed to solve this issue by turning off "open links in apps" from default apps section on my galaxy phone. I'm not entirely sure why this worked. 

• I don't understand why Garmin won't listen to it's massive user base and include the ability to natively sync health stats to google fit and other health platforms

• Thanks but that did not seem to work.  frustrating!

• 1. maybe there aren't enough users in Garmin's massive user base who want this.

2. Garmin can't simply just start exchanging data with another company. Utilizing a company's API's usually requires an agreement between both companies, sometimes even a contract.

3. Some companies require a fee to use their APIs for commercial use.

4. Even if Google doesn't charge a fee to use the Google Fit api, there is still a cost to Garmin. They have to write the software to exchange data via the API, Keep it maintained and possibly add more computing resources to handle everything.

5. Every time Garmin updates their software, this new integration will be another item that will need to be regression tested to ensure nothing was broken,

6. Every time Google updates/changes their API, Garmin will need to update software on their side and run more regression tests again to ensure things still work.

7. Since Garmin and Google most likely don't store data the same way, there could be data conversion and other issues.

8. There could possibly be something in Googles Terms of Use that Garmin doesn't like. 

9. Exchanging data between to different platform is rarely a simple thing.

All these things require time and resources to setup and maintain.

• Your missing some of the points of having cross sharing of information. For example if you have a body weight metric that is updated automatically with many 3rd party scales, which syncs to google fit. This information cannot at present sync to Garmin connect. So it's not just Garmin>Google Fit it's also Google Fit (or similar health platform) to Garmin.