This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please add "Soccer" as an activity!

Can you please add Soccer as an activity? I'd be even happier if there could be indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, and soccer training. After all, if RC/Drone can be considered an activity, surely soccer would be too!

TIA/
  • It is not practical or useful to use the running mode for football: HR, distance, average/moving pace, cadence and pretty much all other standard running metrics have very different patterns and meanings when playing football (or basketball). Squeezing football games within running activities will just skew monthly running averages and make them meaningless for tracking performance. 

It is better to create a custom activity for football - but the original question is why Garmin didn't add this as a standard feature given football is by far the most popular sport in the world, instead of letting users figure out how to do it. maybe it has something to do with liability? FIFA copyrights It's a mystery, really... 

(BTW, if I had the time money and dedication to get into wingsuit flying, I'd invest in a more specialized tracking equipment, than the one used by my mom to monitor her dog-walking steps )

• Totally conclusive!! Thumbsup

• HR, distance, average/moving pace, cadence and pretty much all other standard running metrics have very different patterns and meanings

It does not really matter that they have other meaning. The watch is still recording most of the data you need, so you can use it.

FIFA copyrights It's a mystery, really... 

I doubt the copyrights play any role. Rather the rules that ban the use of jewelery and any other equipment that could cause injuries.

I know I can create a special activity. But it should not be neccessary.

It is not necessary, you can install a Connect IQ app for soccer - there are several dozens of them in the store:

• Trux, please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your try to help.

But it shouldn't be necessary to create or download special stuff. For SOCCER. It doesn't make any sense, that you can choose every super-exotic activity but you can't choose soccer.

Btw. the apps you've linked seem to be rather like "themes"...?

Anyway: I think it's a huge service fail not to offer basketball, football and other team stuff in the activity list. I see the reason you mentioned above but I don't think that this reason works out well for people who just go kicking with friends and it neither works for training.

For me it seems to be a garmin-principle-thing and that's just sad.

It would be like nobody's malus if you could just choose soccer.

(Garmin is actually sponsoring a third league soccer team and supporting girls soccer teams here around, so it's even more mysterious to me.)

• But it shouldn't be necessary to create or download special stuff

Maybe, but you are here on a user forum, where people help each other by offering available solutions. And that's what I am doing too. If you are asking for a new feature, you better use the suggestion form at https://www.garmin.com/forms/ideas/, because your demand is unlikely to be seen here by anyone from Garmin.

• Btw. the apps you've linked seem to be rather like "themes"...?

Some are watch faces (or "themes" if you prefer), others are applications adding extra data fields to the monitoring, changing the activity type, and/or adding diverse functionlity not available normally (i.e. the possibility to log goals, consumed beers, etc.)

• Ok, you are completely right with that, I really appreciate your hints and tipps, thank you very much!!

• Right, this is more a rant triggered  by widespread frustration about Garmin's inexplicable refusal to add the most popular sport to their activities library, rather than a legitimate forum question. On the other hand I really hope you are wrong about GArmin not monitoring their own official forums especially for their flagship software. While this would explain some of Connect's shortcomings, I hope they at least compile meta data of what's going on here...

• Even if you don’t wear the watch, at least let us enter the activity manually in the app! 

• HI there! If you open the app, you can tap the 3 bars on the left then go to Activities, you can tap on Create Manual Activity. It will allow you to enter the stats. Unfortunately there is not a soccer name under the field but you can use other. In the mean time, I can go ahead and send this feedback over to my team as a feature request!