This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sleep during day

Hi,
i have a fenix 3 hr.
If i sleep for 1h during the day, this session is not recording or sure, is not visible in the Garmin Connect app.
Only I have this problem?

Thanks
  • Hi,

first of all I can tell you that this isnt a bug. Maybe it helps you to understand how the sleep tracking works. You had to set your regular bed- and wake times in your user profile. During this time frame the watch is ready to track sleep automatically. So if you don't move because you either, sleep, watch tv or reading a book. The watch will might think that you´re sleeping, even if you don't. Outside of this time frame it wont even try to track sleep.

So what is to do:

- In case the watch tracked your sleep wrong (to long, to short) you have the option in the Garmin Connect app to correct the sleep time. Go to the sleep data of a particular night and select the 3 dots in the top right corner.

- In case you want to sleep outside of your usual bed times. You can set your watch to track a nap.
    Hold the ´´Up´´ Button until the menu opens up.
    Select ´´Setting´´
    Go to ´´Activity Tracking´´
    Select ``Go to Sleep´´
    This should start the sleep tracking.

Best regards
    Christian
  • Hi,

first of all I can tell you that this isnt a bug. Maybe it helps you to understand how the sleep tracking works. You had to set your regular bed- and wake times in your user profile. During this time frame the watch is ready to track sleep automatically. So if you don't move because you either, sleep, watch tv or reading a book. The watch will might think that you´re sleeping, even if you don't. Outside of this time frame it wont even try to track sleep.

So what is to do:

- In case the watch tracked your sleep wrong (to long, to short) you have the option in the Garmin Connect app to correct the sleep time. Go to the sleep data of a particular night and select the 3 dots in the top right corner.

- In case you want to sleep outside of your usual bed times. You can set your watch to track a nap.
    Hold the ´´Up´´ Button until the menu opens up.
    Select ´´Setting´´
    Go to ´´Activity Tracking´´
    Select ``Go to Sleep´´
    This should start the sleep tracking.

Best regards
    Christian

Many thanks for reply @Christian.
    But, if I'm very tired, and I'm in the bed for reading in ... but after 5 ' I fall asleep ... there is this an algorithm that track this sleep automatically? (I have other weareable that have this function).
  • You´re welcome.

Yes, there are wearables which can do that, but sadly not Garmin.

Here automatically sleep tracking works only within the time frame or when you fall asleep earlier or sleep longer.
    For instance your regular bed times are 22:00 to 07:00. It was a hard day and you fall asleep at 20:00. At this point the watch will not assume that you're sleeping. But at 22:00 it starts to track your sleep and will look also back to the last hours. It will realize that you haven't moved much since 20:00 so it will include this time into your sleep time.

BTW: It seems that the function to correct your actual sleep time is buggy since a few days. The watch will keep overwriting the edited values with whatever it tracked. So if you want to edit a night of sleep wait for it until the next day. Than it keeps the values.

Best regards
    Christian
  • You´re welcome.

Yes, there are wearables which can do that, but sadly not Garmin.

Here automatically sleep tracking works only within the time frame or when you fall asleep earlier or sleep longer.
    For instance your regular bed times are 22:00 to 07:00. It was a hard day and you fall asleep at 20:00. At this point the watch will not assume that you're sleeping. But at 22:00 it starts to track your sleep and will look also back to the last hours. It will realize that you haven't moved much since 20:00 so it will include this time into your sleep time.

BTW: It seems that the function to correct your actual sleep time is buggy since a few days. The watch will keep overwriting the edited values with whatever it tracked. So if you want to edit a night of sleep wait for it until the next day. Than it keeps the values.

Best regards
    Christian

Ok thanks.
    But, in generally, I have found some imprecious (sleep started before i real sleeping really).
    I am disappointed for this.. I did not expect from Garmin :(
  • Hi Christian 

I sort of understand what your saying but it’s not really consistent with what I see with my F5. For example I set my bed time as 11.30 in the settings yet last night it recorded me as sleeping from 10.26pm, only suddenly waking up when I decided to go get a drink but then sleeping again when I returned to the TV. It even showed some deep sleep , although mainly light sleep. 

its very poor sleep tracking compared to Fitbit for example, a much cheaper watch and my partner gets very accurate stats for her.

is this something Garmin is looking to improve do you know?

thanks

Andrew

• my partner gets very accurate stats for her.

I wonder how can you know that. Did you use polysomnography to compare it, or just subjective feelings? Feelings may be quite misleading.

• Sleep tracking on Garmin devices is pathetic for some reason. Almost all other fitness tracker are more accurate in tracking sleep, even some real cheap one but Garmin have decided to not improve on this.

• What I did was to make sleep time 23.55 Mins. So anytime I dozz off also is captaured.

• This is the only reason I’m not buying a Garmin as I work irregular shifts all year long - and sleep tracking is very important for me. 

If you set your sleep time from 0000 to 2359, does it auto track whenever you sleep? Any other problems with doing this? 

Can’t find the answer anywhere 

• Now since the whole 24 hours is sleep, The graph will plot, with REM, Awake, Light, and DEEP. Now you got to make out if you were awake in between sleep or it's your normal awake. Which I think is fairly easy. I got Garmin as a gift and it's good for runners, but for most of us, FitBit and similar do a fairly good job.