This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sync problems. Are the problems in the Garmin servers?

Hi!

My Garmin connect has failed to sync my watch for days now, HR stats graph shows that it stopped in the middle of the day at 21.1. It just stopped, no new updates for phone or apps installed, which might have caused this. BT is fine, phone calls will vibrate the phone. Watch still shows my HR.

Garmin Connect Device Sync debug log it the app says:" Listing failed. Failed uploading file...Unable to get the server endpoints for this unit and sub type combination...Unexpected server response."

Is there something wrong with Garmin servers?

___
Vivomove HR
Android 7, Samsung A3
GC 4.2.2
  • +1 just finished an evening skimo race, and getting server connection error. I can log in to connect. I can pair and sync the phone to connect app. Get updated steps, intensity minutes, floors, and calories in the app, but they do not update to connect web view, nor does the race file upload to the app or the website.

Please let us know if this is a server error as the app says and/or post a notice, ideally with an ETA when service should be restored.
  • Last sync 07:58. No joy since then. Information is uploading to phone but not to connect servers. Lost 2000 steps fiddling around trying to sort the problem as watch froze and reset my step count.

Also no sleep data was available on syncing this morning not sure off this is part of the problem.

Went for a walk on lunch and this has synced to the phone but again not to the Garmin servers.

Iphone 8 plus and Vivoactive HR
  • I have been unable to complete a small upload to Garmin Connect since 1/31. I keep getting the red bar in Garmin Express stating "There was an error syncing with Garmin Connect". Finally picked up the phone and dialed support today.

But got the usual Garmin Support response which is to blame the problem on the user. First the rep said I had a bad activity. I asked what caused that bad activity to suddenly occur when many hundreds of other activities have not had any issues? She then asked me to hold and when she returned, changed her story to that there was a possible GPS software error. Next she wanted to upload my Connect logs to Garmin and gave me a special code to put into Express to make this happen. But how will these logs be uploaded if Garmin Connect itself isn't working?

I then asked how would such a GPS error occur, given that I am using a 910XT and there hasn't been a software update on the watch in years! She then she claims that Garmin Connect actually does download stuff to devices but doesn't tell us about doing so! Huh? Say what?

I questioned that and then she said then claimed error was in the Garmin Connect software. [Doesn't this sound like someone throwing junk at the wall and hoping for something to stick?]

So I asked why then doesn't Garmin issue a new version of the connect software (I am on v6.11.0.1, which is supposed to be the latest) to fix that problem? She couldn't answer that query

I kept telling her that probably all she had to do was send a note to the system admins asking them to reboot their servers but she didn't seem to really understand what I was asking.

I finally asked to speak to a supervisor but was told that he was not available but that she would forward me and I could leave a message, which is what I did.

Now I wait to see if I get a response back or the the problem rectifies itself after the servers hopefully get rebooted.
  • Well, well, well. Today, after my argument with Garmin support yesterday, I again tried to sync through Garmin Connect and voila!, everything worked without problems. I didn't do anything with the watch. Didn't delete the supposed corrupted activity. Didn't erase and restart the watch. Didn't reboot my computer. Nothing.

So what changed overnight? I can only assume that the Garmin Connect server(s) was rebooted, which cleared the problem.
  • Might be the Garmin servers...
    I have toggled Bluetooth, power cycled vivoactive HR, power cycled phone, removed vivoactive HR, re-paired vivoactive HR...nothing...

Steps update from device into CIQ.
    CIQ does not update Garmin web, though...only using Garmin Express, have I been able to get data from CIQ/device to Garmin web.

Thoughts?
  • Has anyone had this Sync problem?

Went out for a run with the watch on (Vivoactive 3) and left phone at home. When back, the watch synced with the phone, accurately added the data to Strava, but when you click on the activity in the Connect App (Running on iOS) it says ‘data for this activity could not be loaded’. This has happened for the last two runs. All I can see on the App is the distance and pace etc. I can’t click through and view the map as usual and see all the splits.

If I check on the Connect website online, all the data is there, plus the map. It has just failed to display on the mobile app. These last two runs I was using a Workout which I had downloaded onto the watch. Don’t know if this has anything to do with it.

Update: this is definitely a bug when using downloaded workouts on the watch. If I record a run without using a workout, all the data appears fine on the Connect app. However, if I use a workout, the data fails to get pulled from the server.
  • I am having issues using a FR35 and a Samsung S8. My Garmin device has worked consistently for over a year (maybe 2!) on a daily basis but yesterday would not upload my run and I'm receiving the synch issues that are described in this thread (synch bar getting half way and disappearing). I've reset everything, removed and replaced the app and even attempted manually uploading files to both Garmin (using Express) and Strava (using the .fit file) to no avail.

The Connect app is not working at all smoothly (or correctly in terms of showing daily, calendar and other data) following the removal and replacement so I assume it's some sort of issue at Garmin's end?
  • This describes a sync problem between the watch and the Garmin Connect on the computer (not the phone).

It took me 3-4 times of "Send Course to Device" and disconnecting/reconnecting my watch several times as well for a sync to occur.

Prior to that the sync bar would stop near the end, then give an error message.

Something isn't right somewhere.
  • It has been a complete mess over the last few days. I am having big gaps in HR data over the past couple of days and also sleep tracking data is missing. Watch is connected to my iPhone 6 (iOS 12.1.4), but I get a server error on sync (only visible by clicking on my watch and then there is a red ! ). This on top of missing elevation data in the GC app and pace graphs being useless because of incorrect scales. Come on Garmin, get your act together. I purchased an expensive watch, that has become partly useless this way.
  • I was having the same issue. Last night I decided to connect my fenix 5x with my computer. I tried to sync through garmin express and it gave me a filename (well, a date of a file). I found that date and time lined up with the name of a .fit file. I pulled that file off the watch and onto my computer, and voila! It's now syncing fine. My corrupt .fit file was from Jan 27th... oddly around the time this thread started, I believe.

Now I need to figure out how to fix this .fit file - none of the online repair tools are working for me :(