This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ability to change "Sleep Goal" from 8 hours

I did some research on this and apparently the 8 hour sleep goal is hard coded in. You can change your 'normal wake/bed time' in User Settings but it does NOT change your sleep goal. I realize 8 hours is an age old standard, but not having the ability to change this is very frustrating. The only time I sleep 8 hours is when I'm sick. A lot of us live healthy lives on way less than that, thus we should have the ability to change it like we can our step goals. Thanks!
  • I think it's a matter of motivation. Many people are trying to get more sleep or better sleep and seeing that bar full and green check mark can be motivating to help make it a habit.

Well, if you are watching the sleep progress bar while sleeping, then I am not surprised you cannot sleep enough Smiley And if you do not watch it while in bed, then you sleep anyway as much as you want or as you can, and any goal won't change anything on it, will it?

Just joking. Don't worry, I have nothing serious against people asking for that feature here. I just tried to make clear that if Garmin has in on their ToDo list, it is very likely pretty far at the bottom of it. Because, frankly told, there are many, many, many much more serious problems, both with the GC software, and with the firmware of most devices, and those are (and should be) much higher on the priority list.

• They need to implement this asap! Who sleeps 8 hours besides kids?

• They need to implement this asap!

No, they don't. Implementing this won't help anyone (surely not Garmin themselves) and won't change anything in how people sleep.

Who sleeps 8 hours besides kids?

But what does this have to do with a number you put into an electronic system? How would setting a custom time affect your sleep? Would it be easier for you to sleep your desired amount of time if garmin allowed you to replace the "8" with another number? Would you get a better sleep?

Again, I'm not criticising those who vote in favour of that feature. Just trying to understand.

• Yes, they do! For me it's setting goals that I can achieve. I'm not going to try and force myself to sleep 8 hours and most importantly my OCD is triggered every time I think about not being able to get that check mark in the app.

• They must immediately build in a paralyzer that will shock everyone who attempts to wake up before the 8 hours limit! If they don't, I will sue them for damages on my health, and for causing my bad sleep habits! 

• The discussion here to me is futile and comical. Speak for yourself, not mine.  Don't ask me why I need it.  I am looking at this as a customer, a developer and a data scientist who specializes in AI and cannot make any sense of it. As a customer, it is clear there is demand and they are not responding so it is piss poor customer service. As a developer, I developed mobile apps in the early 2010s and I think this should be an easy fix. If there is a technical reason why they cannot change the app so that you can set your sleep goals like any other, then it is terrible software design.  And the crux of it, the data part... There may be a hidden agenda here. They may be selling the data to a third researcher, insurance, government or whatever organization and they may for whatever reason might be studying the effects of sleep and framing a population to sleep 8 hours a day might have a role in all this.  However ridiculous it might be, don't shoot the messenger, again, I am a data scientist and have seen it all. 

• and they may for whatever reason might be studying the effects of sleep and framing a population to sleep 8 hours a day might have a role in all this.

You made me laugh out loudly. Really. So you believe that if there was the digit 7 instead of 8 on the screen, it would change anything on the data, or on the manner you sleep, or on their ability to sell the data? Seriously?

As a developer, I developed mobile apps in the early 2010s

In that case it must be a question of couple of minutes for you to write a custom javascript snippet that you inject into the page, and change the digit from 8 to 7 (or whatever else you wish).

• Yes, they do!

No they don't! Usually when someone needs to do something this means that failing to do it would have negative consequence. In our case not implementing this featrure will have absolutely no consequence for Garmin, so in fact they don't have to do it.

For me it's setting goals that I can achieve.

You can still achieve your sleep goal, whatever it is, without involving Garmin into it. I don't know how putting a number into Garmin Connect would help you achieve your sleep goals.

most importantly my OCD is triggered

Aaaahh, ok. Now I'm starting to understand Slight smile

• The discussion here to me is futile and comical.

Couldn't agree more.

Don't ask me why I need it. 

Ok, I won't. I was just curious.

they are not responding so it is piss poor customer service

In a free market economy customer service is not about giving for free whatever someone concieves. Unless Garmin thinks that customers will make their purchase decisions based on presence or lack of this feature, (and I am quite convinced that almost nobody would), then there's no reason for them to listen to forum suggestions.

framing a population to sleep 8 hours a day might have a role in all this.

Oh, boy. I would like to meet a person who forces himself (or herself) to sleep 8 hours just because this number is displayed in a piece of software.