This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Blended 'Training Status' from multiple Garmin devices

I use a Fenix 5 for running & a Edge 820 for cycling. The training status is a great feature which I've now started to seriously use as part of my training analysis. Do any Garmin reps know when we will see Garmin Connect use results from multiple devices to give a blended training status score? Surely this is somewhat easy as all can be calculated on Garmin Connect and not locally on any one device.
  • Just when is Garmin going to take what should be a simple step to integrate the output of several devices??

Well it's been at least two years since this thread was started.

• any news on this frustrating subject? i have a fenix 5x and 530 and now i have 0 training status in the middle of the week, and it says to run twice to see status. what the heck? i have 5 runs the last 5 days.............

• Is Garmin still working on this? Any information how is it going to be implemented (e.g. update in Garmin Connect application to consolidate Training Status from multiple sources)?

I have an Edge 830 and a FR945. Separate Training Status entries for each device makes no sense to me unless we'll have an "All Devices" entry for all of them.

We're in 2020 now and this is a feature requested by many users years ago.

• I would like to know as well since I want to upgrade to a new device and I think this feature is mandatory for folks who are using multiple devices...

• I continue to use Strava (relative effort) and wait to see if and when Garmin can use the TrueUp functions. Hope dies last ;-)

And I would like to only use Garmin Connect, but this doesn't make sense with the current status.

• Went to Garmin South Africa today and they don't know the answer to this!!

I use a Vivoactive 3 for running and it doesn't have the training effect function. So, I thought I would pull the trigger on a Forerunner 945 to solve this load focus problem as I use an Edge 1030 for cycling. 

Now I'm thinking what the hell is the point if they can't sort out load focus between 2 devices! Crazy....

Surely it's in their best interest to do so?

• I have an edge 530 and a fenix 5x. both units show comepletely different data. my edge says i need 4 days recovery and my fenix says i am good. I use my edge every day for cycling oand only use my fenix for gym sessions.

For a fitness "system" this is ridiculous

• I have the same problem, I have switched from fenix 5 to fenix 6x. The fenix 6x shows different 7-day training load than fenix 5 and also different training status (looks like both values are wrong on both devices). TrueUp is switched on both.

This really makes TrueUp feature completely useless and I am glad I plan to sell fenix 5 - I hope the status on fenix 6x will get correct after a week. I would never consider using 2 Garmin devices simultaneously if I see for how long Garmin is unable to solve such a trivial issue of synchronization of 3 values... and at the same time they keep on posting this TrueUp marketing hype...

• A lot of people here seem to think this is easy.  As far as I am aware, there is as yet no scientifically reliable way of measuring your 'training status' based on multiple sports and measuring devices.

Yes, Garmin could do better than they do: the TrueUp function doesn't work as advertised. I've got a 645 and an Edge 130 and the sync bug was reported about 2 years ago. That said, even if it worked it would be of dubious benefit. In my experience, the recovery and training status numbers are somewhat random even with a single device.  With two you're just going to have randomness squared. That's not to say the training status is uselss but it's a guess based on human averages, not an accurate measure.  The most important thing is to listen to your body.  If you still need numbers, look at long term trends, where the effects of different sports will naturally synchronise themselves in your body.

As an aside, if you have a chest strap, you can get an idea of your body's device-independent training status using the HRV profile, which is the same input your recovery time is calculated from, except measured at rest rather than during an activity. I'd be interested to hear what experience people have had with this. 

• I don't speak about measuring single activity with 2 devices. I speak about measuring an activity by a single device A, uploading all the data to garmin connect, then measuring another activity by device B, uploading data to garmin connect. I want  garmin connect to sum up training load and VO2max from both activities and synchronize it to both devices. Then if training load and VO2 max would be the same in both devices, I assume  training status would then be the same in both devices as well.

As for me, I would be happy if the 7-day training load and also the 7-day recommended training load range would be the same on both devices or at least correct on one of them. I do not care so much about training status because I understand it cooks the result from very poor data especially if you also bike and don't have a power meter.

Yes I know it might be more complex, but hey - we paid quite some money to Garmin and I don't think it is fair that Garmin hypes TrueUp feature which actually does not work. There is a word for this...

And frankly - the reason why I have bought Garmin fenix watch was not that I wanted to rely on my feelings of my body - it was actually vice versa ;)