This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Treadmill walking

I see that treadmill running is an activity on GC, but not treadmill walking. Can that be added as an activity type?
  • If you use the Treadmill option as a runner you can’t really use it for walking also. Since you programmed it to running speed, heart rate and mileage it doesn’t pick up well when you try to use it as “walking” option. For me, my heart rate won’t read correctly, and it doesn’t sometimes struggles to detect that I’m moving at all. I would suggest using just the regular walk. Which is equally annoying if you also walk outside. Which I do as well. 

• gerrit_smit..how do you copy walk activity to indoor walking??

• You’ll have to go into the app and manually update the activity. Otherwise I recently learned you can manually enter an activity. So if you were walking on the treadmill you can manually add the time, distance and calories. It would be according to the treadmill which is sometimes not entirely accurate. You also wouldn’t get all the detailed stats. 

In the app go to More > Activities and you should find the manual input. 

• What I did was to copy the walking activity and then turn off GPS.  Named it Walk Tmill.

• It does matter because Walk is a GPS activity. When you choose walk, it tells garmin to use the GPS for stats. There is no GPS. And it doesn't use my foodpod, which is what i want it to use when i'm on the treadmill.

• If GPS is not available (or is disabled), outdoor GPS activities use either the internal accelerometer, or an external one (HRM-Pro, RD Pod, Foot Pod, ...). So, is right - you can use the standard Walk profile for treadmill as well (assuming it was already calibrated with a few true outdoor walks). I do it all the time. I can only imagine that it could be different than that, on some very old models.

• Thank you. When I tried this before I got 0.00 as my pace and gave up. Now I can see that a sometimes accurate and sometimes highly inaccurate pace is entered there. I am wearing my footpad with fresh battery and I see it is connected. I just want to get the best indication of distance/steps if I happen to be walking inside that day. Would be great if forerunner 255 had a treadmill walking as an activity for my rest days.

• As I wrote, make sure you calibrated it during outdoor walks with GPS. Not sure whether you have the option to pause the calibration in the settings of your foot pod (I can do it with HRM-Pro). If you do, once you are happy wit the accuracy, you can pause the calibration. If unhappy, you can reset it, and do a new one. See also How Do I Calibrate the Foot Pod? | Garmin Customer Support

• thank you for your attention and this advice. I frequently walk outside with my footpad on. Are you saying that calibration is not automatic from that? Looking for info on how to set the calibration (since i have a footpod), but the web pages on it are sending me in a loop between these two. This one is sending me to the foodpod page https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=zk9G4O5DkS4znMm9KSV2VA and this one is sending me to the Calibrate your device page.

Also, during my most recent treadmill walk (which I did as Walk), my watch connected to GPS 30 minutes in anyway. Is there a way to manually disable that for when I'm inside?

thanks again for your help.