This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Active calories not calculating

I've had an issue with the active calories not calculating properly for the last 2 days. Yesterday, I ran (941 calories) and biked (230 calories). These calorie counts show up properly within the individual activity (both app and website), on the watch (920XT), and also on the calorie summary page (website). The total number of active calories burned on the calorie summary page (website and app) is showing as 552. At a minimum, it should be 1171 calories. I also took an additional 10,615 steps and it is showing no calories burned which is very unusual since there is normally a nominal number there. Today, I have the exact same issue. Biked (482 calories) and ran (403 calories) while total calorie burn is 648. No step calories for the additional 9,185 steps I have taken so far.

This is frustrating as I do use Connect with MyFitnessPal so while MFP has the correct activity calories, it is saying I am doing nothing the remainder of the day so no calories are being added onto that. The Garmin app is then WAY off since the active calories are even lower than what MFP is showing.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions? I have an e-mail into Garmin support as well. Thanks in advance for any help/insight!
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    I was having the same issue on the weekend. This morning I am getting no calorie data syncing to MFP so it just shows zero and doesn't show my activities at all. The connect status for MFP is showing green and online so I hope Garmin know that it is playing up. This happens every few months and is very annoying but Garmin are usually quick to flag it - maybe it just caught them as it was a weekend?????
  • My active calories have been crazy today. It's like my watch and Garmin Connect can't agree.

Screenshots one, two, and three are taken about 30 seconds apart. Every time I sync, the calories change and then a moment later they drop back...
  • My 'active calories' appear to be correct, but my 'calories consumed' is incorrect for most of this week. For thursday, it doesn't show /any/ consumed - despite what I entered in MFP - and on most other days the 'calories consumed' is incorrect, showing a different value than that recorded in MFP.
  • same problem

I am having the same problem - I posted about this thinking it was a MFP integration issue, but it may be a chance in the way Active Calories are being calculated in Garmin Connect. This problem started for me on Thursday, March 3rd and today is the 5th day of the problem.

My original posting is here:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?345128-MyFitnessPal-Integration-Errors

For example now: after running 6 miles this morning, my watch says that my total calorie burn is 1883. If I go into Garmin Connect it says 1503. Now once I sync my Fenix 3 HR back to Garmin Connect it corrects itself. I just did that while writing this post and it says 1881. But, after about 90 seconds I refresh Garmin Connect and it is back to 1514. I chalked the "reset" of my calories back down to a MyfitnessPal sync, but I am not sure.

Best,

Tim
  • reply from Garmin

I cross posted this to the Fenix 3 forum here

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?345259-total-calories-for-day-inconsistent-with-Garmin-Connect&p=815237#post815237

Garmin replied - that it is a know issue and will be fixed in a future update of Garmin Connect.
  • Thanks all!

I'm sorry that you all are experiencing the same/similar thing as I am. I am glad I'm not alone though. Hopefully Garmin reacts quickly to fix as this is driving me nuts. :) I've attached what I'm seeing today so as you can see and have experienced, it just doesn't make sense.

Thanks again and fingers crossed this is very temporary!
  • Garmin Connect has messed up my calories yet again today.

It noticed what I put in this morning, but nothing since then. It claims to have 'synced', yet the value it shows for today's calories hasn't been what MFC has listed since about 10am. I updated MFC several times today after that - Garmin Connect has ignored them all.

"Calories remaining" and "calories consumed" are proving to be utterly useless, since nearly always inaccurate.
  • Incorrect calories

Today I did 1:05 spin class. My avg heart rate for the period was 158 bpm. However, my calories burned was 56 cal and a training effect of 1.0. Really? I don't think so.
  • I ran 7.85 miles and burned less than 200 calories. In fact I burn more calories while sleeping. Therefore I’m going back to bed.

• Went to gym yesterday and calories are absent from total. Two activities added elliptical and strength training. Also couldn’t complete the add of my exercises to strength training.