This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bulk change of privacy settings for past activities

If I change my privacy settings for activities from public to private or vice versa, and want to also change the setting for past activities, there is no easy way to do it. When I select Quick Edit on Activities, there's a Privacy column, with a tick at the top to select all activities in the column, but the only way to change the privacy setting for all activities is to click on each individual activity padlock icon in turn and change them one by one. It would be very useful to be able to change all of them with one click.
  • 85PD dougw666 Thanks for the feedback! Honestly wasn't sure if this was of interest to anyone.

I've fixed the script so it doesn't crash on a blank activity name. In that case it only prints out the time, as suggested.

Mods, could this possibly be made into a sticky? I noticed that this topic has come up many times in the past few years.
  • Hi WillNorthYork,

As I understood your script works, doesnt it? And maybe just there are some very special coincidence when it goes into error.

I just wanted to be sure it is worth spending some energy to download and install Python etc.

Anyway thanks for your contribution to the world.
  • Tisztul_A_Visztula yep it works -- I tried it myself. Any errors that were reported in this thread have been fixed.

If you have any issues, let me know! No worries, I just modified an existing script that did the bulk of the work (authenticating with GC) and I'm happy to help :).
  • I tried and it works like a spell. It is still running, because I have more than 1000 activities, but I already checked one and its privacy level was changed.

Thanks again.
  • The script works great, though i had trouble actually inputting my password into the program. It would not allow me to type any characters (my computer possibly?). The username part worked fine.

I edited the script to take away this prompt, by inputting my username and password and it worked perfectly.
  • marksy321 thanks for the feedback and glad it's useful for you!

- The part of the script that asks for your password purposely does not show anything at all when you type your password (to avoid exposing it to people looking over your shoulder). This is done using a built-in Python function so it should work on all kinds of computers. I sorta wish that function would output stars or bullets or something, but unfortunately it outputs nothing.

- Another way to specify the username or password is to enter them as command line arguments, when you run the script from Windows Command Prompt/Powershell or macOS Terminal.

e.g.

gcprivate.py --username MYNAME --password MYPASSWORD

You can see the available arguments by typing:

gcprivate.py --help

(in macOS, replace "gcprivate.py" with "./gc.private.py")
  • Hi WillNorthYork,

Is your script still working? I am getting "Exception: Did not get a ticket in the login response." although the credentials I am using are working fine when I am logging in on the web interface for instance.

Also, thank you for your work!

• I've just noticed the same, not sure why/

• Same error here: "Exception: Did not get a ticket in the login response."

Any update to make the script work?

Thanks!!!