This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bulk change of privacy settings for past activities

If I change my privacy settings for activities from public to private or vice versa, and want to also change the setting for past activities, there is no easy way to do it. When I select Quick Edit on Activities, there's a Privacy column, with a tick at the top to select all activities in the column, but the only way to change the privacy setting for all activities is to click on each individual activity padlock icon in turn and change them one by one. It would be very useful to be able to change all of them with one click.
  • I have 600+ activities in Garmin Connect. I would like a way to change the privacy on ALL old activities. Doing them a page at a time using Quick Edit doesn't really make sense. Is there a way to do this?
  • Hi! Did you ever find out how to do this? I'm trying to do the same and couldn't find a way to edit all activities in a go...
  • You could delete all your activities, insure the default privacy setting in you account settings is what you want it to be, then upload all your activities again. And don't be dredging up old post from all over this forum and asking the same question in them.
  • You could delete all your activities, insure the default privacy setting in you account settings is what you want it to be, then upload all your activities again.

That's not so good if you've added comments, or for manually entered activities, though.

I wish there was an update all, like the Help suggests there is :)
  • I also want to change the privacy settings of all my old acitivities. This is a badly needed feature.
  • I have a python script that I wrote the last time that someone asked for this. If you have, or are willing to install, python-3.x I'm happy to provide the script for you. It is pretty simple. As an example, you could run the script from the command line to make all activities private...

C:\>python garmin_privacy.py --private

It can change the privacy setting to any of private, subscriber, groups or public as well as display the current privacy for each activity. It also supports filtering activities. For example this would make all running activities public...

C:\>python garmin_privacy.py --filter activityType=running --public

Travis
  • I have a python script that I wrote the last time that someone asked for this.

Hey Travis, any chance you could upload your script to Github?
  • I don't care enough to create a github account. You can download the script here. Note that it requires python-3.x which can be downloaded here.

Travis
  • Having issues with this script. I try and run it and I get the follow. Am I doing something wrong?

C:\Python34\Scripts>python garmin_privacy.py --connections
    Username: jaheath
    Password:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "garmin_privacy.py", line 215, in <module>
    main()
    File "garmin_privacy.py", line 155, in main
    fetch_html_from_url(url)
    File "garmin_privacy.py", line 61, in fetch_html_from_url
    with urllib.request.urlopen(request, timeout=30) as response:
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 153, in urlopen
    return opener.open(url, data, timeout)
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 461, in open
    response = meth(req, response)
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 571, in http_response
    'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 499, in error
    return self._call_chain(*args)
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 433, in _call_chain
    result = func(*args)
    File "C:\Python34\lib\urllib\request.py", line 579, in http_error_default
    raise HTTPError(req.full_url, code, msg, hdrs, fp)
    urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
  • I'll look into it. I haven't touched the script, so it may be something that Garmin has changed recently.