This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I bought a Forerunner 55 for my 11 yo son. I don't seem to have an option to add him to the Garmin Connect App. Creating a separate account for him is not possible as minimum age is 16

Hi All,

We have moved on from the kiddy watches as my 11 yo son is very keen on fitness currently and bought him a Forerunner 55. I have a Garmin Connect account and have added my 11 yo sons Forerunner 55 to my account, as there doesn't seem to be an option to add him as a user. All his activities show up under my name, which is not ideal. Is there another way of having the app on his Ipad, with his name etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

• I would not use your own account for his data - that will completely screw up all your metrics (and his own too). The only solution is creating an individual account for him where you enter higher age than the real one. Keeping the data of underage persons is illegal in many countries, so Garmin cannot allow it, but if you take the responsibility in your hands, and enter higher age, they have little to no chance to see it. It may be still illegal, though, in some countries, so if you fear legal consequences, consult an expert.

•  already summed it up, but here's Garmin's response on a similar thread.

This rule regarding age comes from the COPPA act. It was written specifically for Internet marketers that operate Web sites visited by children under the age of 13 and collect personal information from those kids. Its purpose is to regulate that collection. Here is a link with this information regarding the act. We still do care very much for your feedback regarding your experience as others have asked this as well. The link from the FTC is below: 

From the Garmin Privacy Statement: Garmin | Privacy Policy

Children
    We request individuals under the age of 13 in the U.S. and under the age of 16 in the rest of the world not provide personal data to Garmin. If we learn that we have collected personal data from a child under the age of 13 in the U.S. or under 16 in the rest of the world, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.

• Thanks for the reply. That seems to be the only option

• Thank you for the info