This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Apple Health Activity Ring does not fill after workout is completed on a Garmin device (Request for improvement on how Garmin Connect writes data to Apple HealthKit SDK)

Hello, I use my Garmin Fenix 6 for all my workouts and my Apple Watch 7 for daily use. When completed a workout, Garmin Connect synchronizes with Apple Health. Apple Health sees the workout data but does not fill the activity ring. Could anyone provide a solution to this? I see its a common problem among Garmin - Apple users. Garmin, please take care of this!! Thank you!

• I'm going to wait a bit after my last post (a few days to a week or so) to see if my GC activities start contributing to ring closure as they did for , but if they don't, can someone please post the exact settings that you configured for the Strava workaround? 

• Hi, any update on this ? I really hope Garmin is looking into this … i rather just have my Garmin stats connect to health and update my rings properly..

• , don't hold your breath.   has explicitly stated that Garmin has no plans to fix this issue, and just asked us to log complaints about it (I believe earlier in this thread).  So, you can live with it, use Strava if you just want to have your rings fill, pay for RunGap if you want all the workout data to sync, or buy hardware from another company that implements the API correctly if you don't want to involve an intermediary.     That said, I will admit that I check every once in a while if I see a Connect Mobile release just in case they sneak a fix in.

• Yeah agreed, arguing with  isn’t going to do anything. Just a heads up Strava doesn’t sync Garmin workouts to apple health anymore, you can use RunGap to sync with a $10 yearly subscription. 

• We just got another connect update, if anyone gets to try it please update us here.. I’m away from my watch for a few days .

thanks 

• Strava has restored the sync. It’s working now! But Garmin connect should be able to do the same 

• Haven been using my Garmin for a few weeks, can you confirm has this been fixed ? Do activity rings get up dated by Garmin?

• You do know this is a garmin issue because other devices do this just fine. But I get it, youd rather waste dev resources on the garbage strength training workout on the forerunner than write accurate data. So typical garmin!

• This is a bit pedantic, but activity rings are exclusively an Apple Watch feature and will only be updated by an Apple Watch.  That said, the Apple Watch doesn't care how the activity was recorded as long as it is properly stored in the Health app.  (this is why you have to wear and unlock your watch before a third party workout will be given credit).   Garmin Connect writes just enough information into Health to show up in the list of activities, however the data it writes is incomplete and improperly formatted, so the Apple Watch (or anything else that uses Apple Health) won't recognize it as valid or useful data.   A representative of Garmin has stated here that there are no plans to properly implement the Apple Health API, so unless they change their minds this will never work without involving a third party (like RunGap, or as a less completely solution, Strava).  

I don't understand Garmin's decision here, since they make money on hardware, not software, so they shouldn't care where we want our data, and this just encourages folks looking for a 'second device' to use when working out to look at other manufactures that will play nice with an Apple Watch worn as an all day device.  (In fact, what I really don't get is why they don't implement 100% compliant 2 way sync as a paid for subscription service.  That would let folks wear an Apple Watch as an all day device, but switch to a Garmin on weekends, or for workouts etc. without creating any data gaps in Apple Health.  At the same time someone could do a quick workout (say a walk at lunch, or a quick gym session after work) using just their Apple Watch and have it fully displayed in Garmin Connect (including True-up).  I know this would take some work to implement, but the foundation is there and I have to think there are folks who would pay for it.  

Connect is currently MUCH better for athletic effort tracking than anything I've found for the iPhone/Apple Watch, but with rumors that Apple may be focusing more on this year this seems like a good time for Garmin to reinforce their lead.

• Garmin, can you please tell us if this is in the list of things to be fixed ? i such an easy fix why is it taking so long ? just copy what Strava is doing if you do not know how ...Please give us atleast an update.

Thanks