This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin not pushing calories to Apple Health

Since the last update for Garmin Connect on iOS, the calories do not hit on the Apple Health app anymore.  The exercise minutes still do.   Get me data dependent and then give me issues!  

• That is exactly what's happening with 4.32.0.30- if you go into a specific workout under the Workouts tab in the Activity app, it shows all of the same info (active and total calories, etc) as Connect, but then the active calories aren't counted in the Move total in the History tab.

• My previous post about the apparent source order being related to this issue seems to be incorrect. Both phones shuffle Connect below my watch in the Health app and it doesn't impact Connect version 4.30.0.23 adding active calories to the Move total correctly.

Not sure API is what you're looking for- you can change the source priority order in the Health app by hitting the Edit button on the Data Sources & Access screen, then tapping and dragging the lines that appear next to the sources. 

• I know that you can manually change the order.. Problem is, that Health is actively pushing back the Apple Watch on top again. I do not know if that is supposed to be a feature or a bug. From my understanding there are two solutions (and I am not sure if I am right, just a guess):

1) Apple is keeping the manual order and Garmin has the higher priority

2) Garmin is writing the activities as standalone entries like Strava does. Right now, they are summing the active calories over the entire day. If the Apple watch is writing an entry (which it permanently does) it will always be of higher priority.

Still, I am not sure. Your XS shows that there also might be a different problem. I have no knowledge when those problems started. My Fenix 6 is only a couple of weeks old.     

• On 6/23, I updated to Connect 4.30.0.23 and the bike rides that I recorded with Connect from 6/23 to 6/30 appear to be accurately recorded and counted in Apple Health. My problems seems to start after 6/30, which is also the date I upgraded to IOS 13.6 beta. I'm beginning to think it's an Apple Health problem. I did 40-mile bike rides on 7/3 and 7/4 and recorded the rides with Connect. However, it appears that Apple Health didn't add the total calories from Connect for either ride. I'm beginning to think that it's an Apple Health problem for me.

• Obviously it's pretty common for beta releases to break things, but having a beta break an extremely specific thing that everyone else has correlated with installing 4.32.0.30...that defies both logic and odds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It being an Apple problem doesn't explain why my phones which are identical in software except for the Connect version function differently, or why other apps like Strava aren't having widespread issues of the same kind.

This isn't my first, or even second, time dealing with Garmin having problems with Health since purchasing my Edge 820 (which advertised integration with Health), but every time it's the same song and dance from Garmin of, "oh, it's Apple's fault, they changed something, talk to them." when countless other developers use Health and the underlying API to reliably move data into the Activity app. 

The only recourse we have is contacting Garmin, and they don't seem to want to listen. 

• It is simply annoying.. I am not even on Beta software since I am running 13.5.1 and still the same issue.

In my case Strava is simply a different story. They are writing the activity into Health with a specific time stamp. So for example a bike ride from 9:00-9:30. During that timeframe I am not using the Apple watch. Since no other active calories than Stravas are written in that time frame, Health is counting those calories (despite Strava being lower in the order than the Apple Watch). Garmin on the other hand is summing all active calories during the day and not writing specitic active calories for workouts. It will add the summed up calories with every sync and delete the old entry from the same day. Then I am switching to the Apple watch which is writing active calories constantly. Now Connect is doing a sync and the time stamp is the same as one of the Apple watch entrys. Since the Apple Watch is always on top of the source order, the entry will always beat the Connect entry. 

With all those Garmin watches out there, I simply cannot imagine that neither Garmin or Apple know of those problems.. 

• Can anyone confirm whether Apple Health and Apple Fitness include calories from a third-party app if the third-party app doesn't provide or the Apple doesn't understand the heart rate data? If that's the case, then it would explain what's happening here. I know that the calories from a workout recorded in my Bowflex IOS app, which I've used to get a Bowflex elliptical workout into Apple Health, has never been included in the Move number. I always assumed that it didn't happen because the Bowflex app wasn't providing Apple Health with HR data. So, I stopped using the Bowflex app and just used the elliptical app on the Apple Watch instead. It's possible that Apple Health and the Fitness Apps are now treating Garmin Connect the same way. So, is it something to do with the HR data?

• I confirmed that it's a GC app problem. I also have the RunGap app that I used to uploads years of old Garmin activities to Strava. I first deleted today's GC workout in Apple Health and then had the RunGap app send the same workout (from GC cloud) to Apple Health. Apple Health added more calories to today's Move count! So, for now, I'm going to stop allowing GC to send workouts to Apple Health and use RunGap instead. 

• Several ios app updates since this issue first surfaced, and still not fixed. Garmin contacted me via email and I said "just go to this thread, all the detail is there" but they seemed reticent to even look on their own forum to see for themselves /shrug

I'm done with it anyway, I'll be jumping ship to another platform when I next replace my computer, not just for this issue, but others also.

• Just bought a Edge 830 and discovered I have the same problem...

since the issue dates 4 months ago, has there been any fix?

thxs