This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No ability to import GPX files via iOS share function (response from support)

I got the following response from Garmin support regarding removing the ability to import GPX files using the iOS share function...

This was not an intended feature of Garmin Connect Mobile on any platform.  You should not expect that to come back.  If Garmin decides to add the ability to import 3rd party courses in the future, we'll do it directly thru the app and not the OS. 

Very disappointing ... If you used this feature, I suggest you open a ticket with Support and indicate your displeasure (politely).

david

• Then I want a refund. I bought it because of this feature.

Give me back my money or my functionality.

• Log a ticket with Garmin support.

• How do I log something in support??

• That’s a huge shame. It’s one of the best features of the Fenix and Edge range. I use it very often to create routes and follow them. 

Having said that, the feature has come back on my app and works again. It appears random as to who it works for and who it doesn’t. 

I’ll set my App Store updates to manual and won’t be updating Garmin connect again until this is an added feature. Don’t want to lose it. 

Their own app for drawing routes is lacking. I know that Garmin don’t like playing nicely with other apps and try to lock them out, but they’re not losing anything by letting us use third party apps to draw routes or download GPX files to connect. If any anything, it means I use connect more as all my routes are stored there. And in terms of space, they’re simple GPX files. It’s hardly a storage issue for them on the servers. 

I don’t understand this decision by Garmin at all. They need to release this feature as unlike some others often discussed on here, this IS a killer feature and is used by many, many people. If they refuse to support this feature that many of us have used for well over a year, they could start to see an impact on customer loyalty. 

I was thinking the other day that although I love my Garmin kit, I’d be interested to see how hard it would be to put some sort or homebrew software on it to really unlock the features Garmin fail to provide or maintain. I suspect a community of developers would produce better features for an app and watch operating system than is currently offered. This just highlights that. 

Garmin is great hardware, let down by a disjointed approach to providing software. I’d probably fire the software development team and start again. Proper development, properly managed and suddenly Garmin would be a game changer. No other manufacturer could get close to them then. 

• I've seen elsewhere that if GC is the only thing on your share sheet that can import GPX then it works ??

• Despite the statement from Garmin support, I was able to get the "Copy to Connect" share function back...

I deleted two apps that had registered interest in GPX files and the "Copy to Connect" option showed up again.

I installed one of the deleted apps and it stayed there.

I installed the other deleted app and it went away.

When I repeated the delete, it came back.

I will be contacting the two app developers to see if they have any ideas.

• Tanks, you have reason, i do the same, i delete one app that use gpx files , and the share opcion to connect app show again... 

• How do you find out which apps are linked to gpx files - this being missing is driving me mad

• You can open Garmin Explore in Safari. Navigation is a bit cumbersome since it is made for PCs but if you zoom in, it works just fine. In the Map tab towards the top right there are two down and up arrows. The down arrow allows you to import data and you can browse to your GPX file in the iOS file system. 
    Once imported, the track shows on the map. You can now close Safari and open the Explore app. Your new track will be there. Now all you have to do is to sync with your Garmin device. 

Worked with a Fenix 6 Pro on Dec 12.