This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ATTN: iOS Users with issues after updating to iOS 13

I Am Having Issues with My Garmin Watch After Updating to iOS 13 on My iPhone

With the released of iOS 13, some changes in the way that your Garmin device communicates with your phone have changed.  Review the following symptoms which should solve your issue.

The Garmin Connect app displays the message "Bluetooth is turned off"

iOS 13 requires Bluetooth Sharing to be turned on for the Garmin Connect app.  Below are steps to enable this setting.

1. From the iPhone, select Settings

2. Scroll down and select Connect

3. Toggle Bluetooth Sharing on

NOTE: For the best user experience with your Garmin device and your phone, the Location setting should be set to Always and all toggles should be set to on.

I Am No Longer Getting Smart Notifications on My Garmin Device

To correct this issue follow the steps below:

Check Bluetooth Settings

1. From the iPhone, select Settings

2. Select Bluetooth

3. Under MY DEVICES select the i icon next to your Garmin device

4. Toggle Share System Notifications to on

Check Notification Settings

1. Select Notifications

2. Set "Show Previews" to Always

3. Under "NOTIFICATION STYLE" select Messages

4. Under "OPTIONS" set "Show Previews" to Always (Default)

Update your phone to iOS 13.3.1

Why Do I Need to Keep Signing Into the Garmin Connect App on My Phone?

Garmin is aware of an issue where the Garmin Connect app requires you to sign in when you open the app on an Apple phone.  This can occur when:

• The phone is rebooted
  • The battery on the phone runs out of charge
  • Some reports of the issue randomly occurring

Apple has released a software update for your phone that corrects this issue. To download and install  OS 13.3.1, refer to the following Apple instructions: Update your iPhone, IPad, or iPod Touch

• Are this issues happening with Android? 

• Are these issues happening with Android? Time to swap???

• Funnily enough, I overheard a Garmin rep at the Chicago marathon expo saying almost exactly that to a young lady. “Apple deliberately introduce bugs and make it appear to be our devices because they don’t like us.”. It was nonsense when he said it and it’s nonsense now as you say it. Look at the myriad reported issues on these forums (the current Garmin Connect disaster isn’t an Apple issue, nor the current Wi-fi problems, nor Physio True up never having worked properly, not their inability to have the metric system properly implemented in strength exercises, etc., etc., etc. ) to recognise that the balance of probability for most issues is typically that it’s a Garmin problem. 

I’ve no doubt Apple work to try and make the Apple Watch experience with the iPhone better than the integration with 3rd party devices, of course they do. And they’ve changed the way notifications work in iOS 13, and many people don’t like it (personally, I’m ambivalent, there are other things about iOS 13 I like and other things I dislikes). But if you think they’re going out of their way to gimo Garmin devices then you need a tin foil hat. 

• Well, we will maybe never know. But this wouldn’t be the first time Apple is doing doggy things to protect their sales. They admitted to be slowing down podernos iPhones to force people to upgrade. So I might be ordering the tin foil hat. 

• I’m also facing Bluetooth issues between my iPhone XS (iOS 13.1.2) and the Edge 1030. 

Most annoying behaviors are that Livetrack stops working after some minutes, and that activities upload requires some -random- manipulations to get back the Edge connected to phone before starting the synchronization 

Note, I obviously applied all above settings 

• Hi, yeah- my epic has just started to do the same. freezes on a screen which says phone connected. Really jared off that Garmin are so bloody useless at managing their software. So, like you, very expensive bit of plastic on my wrist that is currently not fit for purpose...

• My recorded activities, sleep,... also don't sync using that Garmin Connect App.

When clicking onto the connected device - on the home screen - in the top bar after it 'synced'. There is a red error icon.

When clicking on that error there is a message saying 'Device connection error'.

Anyone else experiencing such a behavior?

For me, those steps to fix did not help for more than an hour. Resetting the Garmin device seems to help for less than a hand full of days.

Here an image of the error:

Fun fact: When you are on this screen and click click 'Sync Now' that error disappears.

Until you navigate back and on this screen once again. LOL

@garmin Support: Also a bug that may be tracked and fixed.

@garmin Support: Showing any progress to complete with green color when encountering an error is a big & misleading nono. Another bug (3.)  that should be tracked and fixed.

• Hi. I have the same problem. I have done the last update of garmin connect this morning but no sync. I must swich off Bluetooth and restart it to have a chance to sync my fenix 5x plus

• Spanish SAT no idea, always recommending hard reset. ***!! 13.1.3 and Connect. You Garmin have a problem!!!

• Hi, after persistent sync issues..., uploaded all my data on usb mode through gramin express...,

then did a full reset of my Fenix 5x plus and paired as a new watch...   it seems to be working fine now....my activities, steps, heart rate now sync real time... hope it stays this way!

would blame iOS as much for this problem... even after choosing all options, IOS still comes with the question “ do you want to share location - allow always or while using app “ just before a sync...