This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes not working properly

intensity minutes no longer classifies brisk walking as moderate exertion (it used to). Also does not pick up some runs as vigorous. Some days does not appear at all on daily dashboard.
  • I have the same experience...at this point Intensity Minutes are just junk in my opinion and the lack of consistency provides no real purpose. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't...sometimes my activity is not intense and I do get them. There is just nothing consistent that allows them to serve a purpose. I have used Garmin for running/cycling for about 10 years, but at this point in my life things like "Intensity Minutes" would have value if applied correctly.
  • I've been seeing the same thing. Hard efforts on the bike trainer aren't showing up.

I suspect, however, it's more a function of the activity tracker and not GC.
  • I have the same issue. I am not sure is it a systemic issue with iOS. The Intensity Minutes are registering correctly on Android. But when I switched back to iOS (apparently after they fixed the widget not being removed on the tracker), the Intensity Minutes are still not solved. I can have Intensity Minutes registered for a slow casual walk to the canteen in less than 10 min.

What is going on here...Garmin iOS dev team does not seem to be able to get their act together, or is the Apple iOS team screwing up the app? I am clueless, and frustrated to say the least. Sigh.

iOS: 11.1.2
    GC version: 4.1.3.3

• Same on my 5x, intensity minutes remain at zero on the watch after any exercise,(for the last three days)
    and i can't view intensity minutes in GC either,disappeared?
  • Giving this a bump - I still have issues with intensity minutes (iPhone 7, Forerunner 735xt) - this week 4 activities none of which counted as vigorous (even a max intensity 5km run which gave a 5.0 training effect). But on my wife's iPhone 7 w/ Vivoactive 3 it seems to be working properly.

Likely one of those nightmarish things for the dev's to try and deal with.
  • I had the exact same problem last October. I contacted CS, but was told I wasn't working hard enough, or that IMs were not tracked with my Forerunner 225. I went back and forth with them, and I even ran with my Vivosmart to show my IMs were not tracking. They all just dropped off completely.

I then realized that at some point I had adjusted my Activity Class from a 3, where it had been before to a 8, where I thought it was more accurate. As soon as I changed it from a 3 to an 8, my Intensity minutes dropped considerably. I dropped it to a 1, then my IMs sky rocketed. I contacted Customer Support again to tell them I fixed my own problem, but was met with crickets. I've moved it around a few times, all to the same result. I would guess that the CS people have no idea of the link between the two since we honestly went back and forth for weeks. It would be nice if you talked to the same CS rep when you were dealing with emails. I kept getting handed off to a new person, who would repeat exactly what the person before had said. Restart my Vivosmart; Forerunner's don't track IMs; You aren't working out hard enough (my average HR was around 140, but they needed me to push it harder!). All parotting the same suggestions for a fix.

Let me know if you find my fix helped.
  • FWIW: I've found that, when I'm riding my trainer, if I activate the cardio workout activity on my Vivoactive 3 it will connect to my external HRM. At the end of the workout, I stop the activity on the VA3 and discard it ... my activity minutes, however, remain.
  • 5x issue for me too. Plus an email from Garmin that this app doesn't count steps correctly which is why I keep getting bumped out of the 150k weekly step challenge. Of course $900 worth of 5x+accessories and 9 months after this devices release, yet we still have these problems. You know Apple is getting sued all over the place for "planned obsolescence" software code the wrote to break their own phones right? That this year apples stock is going to tank after this lawsuit and it's going to shake the foundation of all you scumbag companies that make products to intentionally break or be replaced every year. I can't wait to watch all you upper class scumbags squirm as your stock tanks.

Ok then, since Garmin refuses to fix any of these issues, I will be contacting a lawyer. We've waited long enough, you stole our money with falsely advertised features that don't work.

Say I make a smart watch, then said to people it will keep you alive forever; when it doesn't say "it's a software bug we will fix eventually", then I am a god damn liar falsely advertising a product that doesn't and never actually worked as advertised. That's fraud. Garmin is doing the same thing; fraud. If you say your devices will do something and they don't do it out of the box, it's fraud.

$900 later and this POS won't even count steps right... for christs sake a free plastic junk analog pedometer works better at counting steps. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1292085.jpg
  • Well I’m coming from Vivosmart and I was very happy with it. So I decided to go for an upgraded and I went for Vivoactive 3. I had always tracked accurately intensity minutes. High and moderate.
    Now from the day 1 of my Vivoactive I’m not able to track any high intensity even reaching 160 bpm for several minutes. Tried to tweak with th class as suggested before but nothing yet. Setting to 7 is tracking a lot minute while lowering almost no difference.
    I don’t know what to do know but it’s a huge huge disappointment for a great tool as that a Vivoactive worth 250 euro
  • I am having the same problem with getting extremely random intensity minutes. I walk every day for an hour at 4.6-8 mph. On a treadmill I set it at 3 decline. Outside, I'm up and down hills. Somedays I get 0 intensity minutes. Other days I can get 10-40.

How do you set an Activity Class on the Vivosmart HR+? Thanks!