This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Health app not syncing correctly

Hi All,
I'm having an issue with the health app and my steps taken in Garmin connect. An example is the health showed 14k steps, in contrast to my Fenix 3 which displayed 18k steps. Is there a way to have the health app reflect the steps from the Garmin?
John
  • The response from Garmin to me is that its Apples fault.

Yeah the problem with this is that other companies manage to sync their data without issue.

What (i think) they're really saying is that their ecosystem is incompatible with Apple's, and that Apple needs to change some things to make it easier/possible for them. In other words, it's not a priority (because if it was, they'd rework their ecosystem to make it possible, like other companies have).
  • It looks like the latest update to the iOS Connect app also took away correct syncing for sleep data.

Before this update, sleep information would be available in Healthkit immediately after I woke up. Since the latest update I'm not seeing any sleep information from my Fenix 3 appear in Healthkit anymore.

All Garmin needs to do now is remove correct syncing for Steps and Workouts and they're done with Healthkit.
  • Yeah the problem with this is that other companies manage to sync their data without issue.

What (i think) they're really saying is that their ecosystem is incompatible with Apple's, and that Apple needs to change some things to make it easier/possible for them. In other words, it's not a priority (because if it was, they'd rework their ecosystem to make it possible, like other companies have).

So there has been a new version of Garmin Connect mobile, new version of the Forerunner 920xt firmware and a new version of iOS and the problem still persists.

I think (maybe giving them to much credit in doing so)it is partly that their first line support teams don't understand or acknowledge the issue. I would hope that if you could reach the development team they would get it. From my perspective I am not sure I could provide anymore information relating to the issue. I have sent them the steps to reproduce and multiple screenshots including other apps that work as expected a number of times.

To me this is a basic error that *should* have been picked up in testing as it is obvious and happens every time.

I have decided to do as Garmin have and ignore it. I have switched off Garmin Connect to HealthKit sync and now use the Strava integration instead (which works for the same activity that syncs with the incorrect quantity from Garmin Connect). Not addressing this issue is shortsighted from Garmin perspective as now I am less tied to their ecosystem than before.
  • I am contacting you regarding the case 1288375.
    The information on the Apple Health app is seen as a result of a rounding up up process done by the Apple Health app. No incorrect information is sent from Garmin Connect to Apple Health.

I have closed the case 1288375. Please refer to Apple support for any further issues with the Apple Health app.

So this is the latest email I have received from Garmin today 🙄
  • What a crap solution this is!

I bought an Pebble and a Mi band 2 over a year ago and they sync correctly with Apple Health.

Today I switched over form both of them to my Garmin Vivoactive and started syncing data from yesterday and today. On my Garmin I have more then the above steps regarding my goal, The Apple Health shows none of them!
    FTW?
  • No weight data

As a lot of you, I have the same issue regarding weight.
    The weight data is synchronised correctly from Withings App to Health but it never shows up in Garmin Connect.

Garmin Team, any chance to get it solved soon ??
  • Source->Data->Trainings->Training sample:
    0.97 kcal in Health - 970 kcal in GC
  • @bizzonx

Doesn't that suggest the problem is at the Apple end?
  • @bizzonx

Doesn't that suggest the problem is at the Apple end?

No, it means their IOS developer did not properly setup the HKUnit instance before committing the entry to the HKHealthKitStore.
  • Yup, this ^^. Garmin's writing the data in cal instead of kcal, so instead of getting credit for your 500 kcal workout, you get credit for 0.5 kcal. If you use your Garmin to run and your Apple Watch for overall activity tracking (like me), this means that your hard 30 minute run did nothing to move your Move ring for the day.

This would likely be a simple fix on Garmin's part, switching from publishing this data to HealthKit in HKUnit.calorie to HKUnit.kilocalorie.

But Garmin support would have to listen first. Like everyone else, I've gotten the same dismissive "If Garmin Connect shows the calorie total correctly, then the problem is on Apple's end." response from Garmin support. I'm at my wits end on this. Debating picking up a Polar M400 at this point to see if the situation there is better and selling my Garmin if it is. This is ridiculous, and Garmin support is infuriating!