This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Smart Notifications

Hoping the forum community can help answer a question I have.

I have an android and iOS device. I've had my 235 paired to my android device since I got it. Under the settings menu in the Garmin Connect mobile app, I'm able to toggle, on and app by app basis, which apps I want to display notifications on my 235. Without having to shut them off from displaying on my phone. For example - my work email. I get quite a bit of email throughout the day. I dont need my wrist vibrating constantly with alerts that I've received a new work email. But I still want those notifications to display on my phone. On android, I can set up the notifications within the Garmin Connect app to simply not push to the 235. But I'll still see them on my phones lockscreen.

I just paired my 235 with my iPhone and this seems to be impossible. I either have notifications on, or I dont. Across the 235 and the phone. I still want to see notifications on my lockscreen/notification center on my phone. But I just dont want them pushed to my 235. But only for specific apps.

Entirely possible on Android - but not on iOS? That seems to be a first. And if true, terribly frustrating.

• Confused as well

I totally agree with this post and am wondering if I'm missing something obvious... I'd really just like to get notifications for my text messages, emails and calls and can't figure out how to do that (I have the forerunner 230). There must be more posts on this, but I haven't found them yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • As far as filtering or toggling specific apps

wsrobert,

According to the api of Apple you have to do all the filtering on your watch and the app doesn't have much control over what they send and what they don't.

The best that Garmin could do for filtering would be able to filter out the Category ID which they sort of already do because that is what they do to assign the icons to your notifications on your watch (Currently they don't offer the option to hide specific Category IDs which would be useful)

If you are jailbroken, and would still like this feature I can possibly look into adding it in a future update to my tweak. The reason why I would be able to filter the notifications out is because with jailbreaking you don't have to follow the limitations of apple and freely modify what is sent to the watch by hooking into the CoreBluetooth.framework.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/CoreBluetooth/Reference/AppleNotificationCenterServiceSpecification/Specification/Specification.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40013460-CH1-SW7

linter,
    A simple fix sometimes is toggling your bluetooth on and off which potentially could fix it. Also make sure that your watch is connected in both the bluetooth menu in your settings app and in your Garmin Connect app.
    If you still are confused just pm me.

Thanks,
    wizage
  • iOS it displays all notifications that happen on the phone. It's unclear if this is an iOS limitation or lazy programming, I suspect it's the former.
  • iOS it displays all notifications that happen on the phone. It's unclear if this is an iOS limitation or lazy programming, I suspect it's the former.

It's iOS. You have far less control of this than you do on Android, as in iOS it's controlled by iOS, and on Andriod, by GCM.
  • I'm not sure this problem is truly an iOS problem. I also have a Pebble Time watch that I have paired to my iPhone and it allows me to filter which apps send notifications to my watch. I'm really not sure why Garmin can't do the same thing. This is very frustrating.
  • I also suffer from same issue!

I would like to disable the smart notification of instance message/email/we chat, but to enable keep the notification for call only for both during activity and watch mode.
    Btw, it could not be achieved. Even I configure "show call only " for both during activity or watch mode of smart notification menu! The notification for Connect Apps at iPhone also turn OFF. (Inside iPhone setting>notifications>Garmin connect apps>OFF). There's still have the unwanted notify instance message shown for watch mode or during activity..., which is not my preference. The only thing it could do is to set "OFF" for both during activity/watch mode of smart notification!, which mean none of information is notified!

I had android perform before and it is work fine as my preference, but now it's not work for iPhone platform!
  • can anyone tell me if this was ever sorted or anyone found a way around it? its really quite frustrating.
  • can anyone tell me if this was ever sorted or anyone found a way around it? its really quite frustrating.

My workaround solution is to "DO NOT PUT ANY UNWANNTED MSG TO IPHONE NOTIFICATION CENTRE"
    The message shown on Watch are getting from iPhone Notification Center!

Hope it could help for some user if this workaround could match their preference!
  • its really quite frustrating.
    Given that fine-grained ability to control which notifications are sent to a connected Garmin device in the Garmin Connect Mobile app for Android (and, if I recall correctly, Garmin Connect Mobile app for Windows 10 Mobile too), the limitation is obviously due to some aspect of iOS. You're obviously an Apple customer, so have you try taking it up with Apple, and ask them to learn from Google/Android and provide the same capability in the API to app developers?
  • Troubleshoot

Hi, I've read somewhere that only by disabling the notification to show in the iOS Notification Center, it doesn't show anymore on your watch. By doing this you still receive the notification on your iDevice, lockscreen included, but you won't see it if you swipe down the notification center.
    I don't use the notification center on my iPhone so this is the solution for me.
    Hope it helps someone else!