This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Smart Notifications

Hoping the forum community can help answer a question I have.

I have an android and iOS device. I've had my 235 paired to my android device since I got it. Under the settings menu in the Garmin Connect mobile app, I'm able to toggle, on and app by app basis, which apps I want to display notifications on my 235. Without having to shut them off from displaying on my phone. For example - my work email. I get quite a bit of email throughout the day. I dont need my wrist vibrating constantly with alerts that I've received a new work email. But I still want those notifications to display on my phone. On android, I can set up the notifications within the Garmin Connect app to simply not push to the 235. But I'll still see them on my phones lockscreen.

I just paired my 235 with my iPhone and this seems to be impossible. I either have notifications on, or I dont. Across the 235 and the phone. I still want to see notifications on my lockscreen/notification center on my phone. But I just dont want them pushed to my 235. But only for specific apps.

Entirely possible on Android - but not on iOS? That seems to be a first. And if true, terribly frustrating.

• Previously I have been using Steel HR watch from Withings with the same iPhone as now with my Fenix. And the Withings provided me with the option to turn ON/OFF notifications per each app. Obviously there is a way of doing it in iOS too. No need for Apple to learn from Google. And I would say also no need for Garmin to learn from Withings (which might implicitly seem from my response). I guess both Apple and Garmin have some reasons why they do not provide this functionality even though I would LOOOOVE TO HAVE IT.

have a nice day

M.

• Hey. Bumping into this thread on 2021! (still alive)
    I was always an iPhone user so didn't even realize that there was an option to "block" (as it displays on the garmin watch) specific apps from pushing notifications to your garmin device up until a few months ago where I switched to android
    Now I'm back to iPhone and I totally miss that feature!
    Can someone from Garmin please respond as to what is the company's answer towards this matter ?

• I recently moved to iOS with iphone 12 and my whatsapp notification do not appear anymore on my fenix6. i can see the incoming calls,..email, but no whatsappnotifications.

I have checked all the setting on my iphone and on the watch, but apparently all is set on. Anyone have the same problem?

thank you

Daniele

• I recently moved to iOS with iphone 12 and my whatsapp notification do not appear anymore on my fenix6.

See response from Garmin... Not receiving notifications after IOS update

• From iPhone Settings go to notifications then CONNECT,
      • The middle notification center needs to be CHECK MARKED and show previews needs to be set to ALWAYS
      • If you see temporary it must say Persistent
    • Hit the back arrow, go to notifications then whatsapp
      • The middle notification center needs to be enabled and show previews needs to be set to ALWAYS
      • If you see temporary it must say Persistent
  • Thanks so much. now it works!!

• Hello. Here is how to customize each app that is listed in the iPhone settings under apps. If the apps are not there they can not be customized. If you have iOS 12, the following steps will work: 

1. From the iPhone select Settings

2. Select Notifications

3. Under NOTIFICATION STYLE select the app you want to turn on or off

4. Under ALERTS choose one of the following options:

• Notification Center checked: Garmin device will display notification for selected app
      • Notification Center unchecked: Garmin device will not display notification for selected app.  This will also result in notifications no longer appearing in the phone's notification center. 

If you have iOS 13 the following steps for each app will need to be completed. 

Please open the iPhone settings, (this is an example, so if you have WhatsApp, do the same steps under WhatsApp)

• Hit the back arrow, go to notifications then MESSAGES
      • The middle notification center needs to be enabled and show previews needs to be set to ALWAYS
    Apple's focus on privacy, limits our ability to access notifications, so, without these settings enabled, your watch will not be able to display your iPhone notifications. For more info, you can view our support article My Garmin Device Is Not Receiving Smart Notifications from My Phone or contact Product Support.