This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New v4.75 update crashes

After today's update of the app, the app crashes every time it tries to sync with the watch.

The watch is Instinct 2X, fw 14.12, the phone is Pocophone F1 with android 10. Prior to this update everything worked perfectly.

• Absolutely- just had to go through all the performance of installing a previous version and setting everything up from scratch. Far from ideal..

• If you look at the google play store reviews and sort by most recent you will see many people complaining 4.75 broke everything with bluetooth

4.74.1 is the last stable version

Blows my mind that not only did Garmin not properly test this before pushing to many thousands of users but they are letting it sit for three days now without an update.

Please make 4.74.1 APK available for side-load for those that know what they are doing, cannot trust 3rd party sources.

• the bluetooth connection stack is completely broken in 4.75

4.74.1 is the last stable version

we could side-load 4.74 if we had a truthworthy copy of the APK but Garmin doesn't make it available anywhere other than the Google Play store

what blows my mind is not only did Garmin not properly test this but they have let the problem sit for three days without update

• You can side load any past version from apkmirror.com

• Same here. Have 3 Venu SQs. Version 4.75. Crashes on all three watches. No problem with version 4.53.1.

• Same here. Have 3 Venu SQs. Version 4.75. Crashes on all three watches. No problem with version 4.53.1.

• It hit yesterday 2/3/24.

• I cannot stress how dangerous it would be to side-load an APK from an untrustworthy 3rd party side that can easily inject a tiny piece of code to backdoor your entire phone or tablet, force ads or steal crypto, etc. etc.

Remember garmin connect has almost every major privilege on your device so the backdoor has the same access.

There is no way to signature (checksum) verify APK because google play adds a tiny bit of tracking code to every download so every copy is unique.

The only people that can release a trusted older copy is Garmin themselves and they really need to make an archive available, at least the previous version, they already do that for every other release like windows connect on omt.garmin.com 

Also to rollback to an older version of an APK has to be done via ADB so it takes some knowledge or guidance.

Garmin doesn't have to offer assistance for that but they really would be far more professional to at least keep the last previous version available to skilled users.

• Same here,  I have an Instinct with an old tab A that crashed.  Did all the uninstall, reinstall steps still not working.  The watch was old so I bought a new Instinct 2 and a new Galaxy TabA9+.   Clean install on both and still would not pair with the app. Its been 4 days. I have reinstalled the software every day.  Why aren't they fixing this?

• I cannot stress how dangerous it would be to side-load an APK from an untrustworthy 3rd party side

Well, I would not call APKMirror an untrustworthy party - it is run by a reputable team, and they do check the signatures of all APKs, so although it is not the official APK source, there are no known cases where someone was infected by a maliciously hacked APK downloaded from APKMirror.com.

Some more details can be found on numerous websites on the web, for example here: Is APKMirror Safe? Before Downloading Anything, Read This (ecomsay.com)

I understand, though, that some people may not trust it anyway. All we can recommend you here, on the forum, is suggesting your idea directly to Garmin at Share Ideas | Garmin, though personally I doubt they are going to offer an archive of APKs, anyway.