This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Help with data not updating after sync

Hello everyone!

I've got a Forerunner 245 for a couple of weeks (got it second hand). I've factory reset it, paired it to Garmin Connect, synced and it worked fine for three days. Sometime around the fourth day it synced fine, but the heart rate data stopped around noon, it did not register steps, sleep, etc. The connect app day screen shows realtime data, but the history isn't updated. I've waited a couple of hours, and many syncs later data was still not being transferred.

I've done all the steps in "Troubleshooting guide for (some) data missing after syncing", but it did not fix it. If I remove and re-pair the watch it resumes transferring data on sync, but eventually stops. The first three re-pairs worked for more or less 24h, but after the fourth day it would work only for a couple of hours. I've really tried all the steps, and yesterday I've factory reset the watch again, removed and reset Garmin Connect Android and Web. It worked for 12h then stopped.

Another info. When a sync is correct, it shows on Connect Web the time of last sync. When the sync doesn't update data, it does not show in Connect Web at all. It seems like the problem is with Connect Android App not communicating correctly with the cloud...

So, I'm here seeking your wisdom. Anything I've missed?

Top Replies

• over 1 year ago in reply to Gustavo +1 verified
    I'll also reach Garmin to see if they can help or at least discover if there is another account messing things up. I'm not sure if I'll get past the "do the obvious" instructions, but I've…

All Replies

• Does the watch sync all right over the USB cable to Garmin Express, or do you have the same problems with it too?

What does the Device Sync Audit (at the bottom of the app's Settings menu) tell, when the sync ends without transferring the data? Browse through the audits, and compare the last one, with older audits, when it still worked all right. Look for differences - that may give you some clues about the culprit.

• I've used Garmin Express for the first time yesterday to test (I don't regularly use windows). It worked at first, after first adding the watch, but after a while also stopped. I did not do extensive testing because I don't have a Windows machine, but yeah, same problem.

I've also tested (in Android app) syncing activities (I'm recovering from an injury, so did not created any before). Those work fine. Actually, everything works and syncs fine: activities, arranging widgets, configurations. Only wellness data isn't updated: heart rate (non activity related), steps, calories, stress, sleep.

The sync audit log shows no evident errors. As far as I can tell, there is no differences between the last correct and the first incomplete sync. But, I don't understand the data in the log, so maybe there is something there.

Meanwhile, as I was testing Express, I discovered an awkward workaround. It goes like this: when a sync does not update data, it somehow marks the data as synced, so re-pairing the watch won't bring it back. But, if I don't do a (potentially buggy) sync, the data is still ready to be synced and will be after a re-pairing. So, my workaround is: unpair the watch after a sync, and re-pair it for the next sync. Stupid? Yes. But, seems to work.

I can't believe I'm the only one to see something life this. Defective unit?

• I can't believe I'm the only one to see something life this. Defective unit?

I do not think the unit is defective, but to me it looks like it is somehow associated with more than a single GC account, and permanently falls back to syncing the monitoring data to the wrong account. The symptoms you describe are typical for that case. However, removing the device from all Garmin apps, logging out from all of them, then signing back in, and adding the device back, normally helps in such case. So the question is why it helps just for a short period, in your case. One possibility is that you have a secondary device, such as a tablet, or another phone that still uses the wrong account, and causes this conflict. Another possibility could be that you did not reset all Garmin apps in the mentioned way.

Since many years, I am seeing the problems with duplicate accounts here on the forums almost daily, but I remember only one case where the user tried all the steps, and reported similarly like you that it did not help and was falling back after a short period of time. Hard to tell, whether he did not do all the recommended steps correctly, or whether there is another issue contributing to the problems.

On the other hand, the majority of users just come to the forum to report a problem, and never ever dares to report back, whether the recommended steps helped or not, so I cannot be sure it really helped.

Did you already try searching your GC user name, and all email adresses (and their aliases) through the Connection Search (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/connections/search) form? If you manage to find a second hidden account of yours, deleting it could hopefully help fixing the issue.

• One possibility is that you have a secondary device, such as a tablet, or another phone that still uses the wrong account, and causes this conflict. Another possibility could be that you did not reset all Garmin apps in the mentioned way.
    Did you already try searching your GC user name, and all email adresses (and their aliases) through the Connection Search (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/connections/search) form? If you manage to find a second hidden account of yours, deleting it could hopefully help fixing the issue.

I've tried all emails, found nothing. I'm pretty sure I've only one account. *However*, I've bought this watch used, and that may be the source of my problems. I've asked the previous owner to remove the watch from his connect account (he hasn't, now he has). Apparently this did not solve the problem. I'll ask next if he has used another account or Express or whatever and try and remove the watch in them all. I cannot ask for him to remove his account, though.

I've also linked my account to Strava and Health Sync. I will try to unlink to see if it helps.

I'll also reach Garmin to see if they can help or at least discover if there is another account messing things up. I'm not sure if I'll get past the "do the obvious" instructions, but I've got to try.

Thank you for you time. I've browsed the forums, you're a hero! I will post my discoveries to help a little. Thanks!

• I've bought this watch used, and that may be the source of my problems.

I believe that should not be a problem, as long as it is not someone who has the chance to come within the Bluetooth range of your watch. Because it is only when the other account or phone, tablet, or computer connects to your watch, that the association gets broken. As long as he cannot connect, there is no problem.

If you can make some screenshots of the Sync Audits (one which is all right, and one after the failure), I could try to look at it, if I could spot something suspicious. There is some sensitive personal info (email, device ids,...) in it though, so you better hover over my avatar, request a friendship, and once I approve it, you can send it by a Personal Message.

• I've also linked my account to Strava and Health Sync. I will try to unlink to see if it helps

That should not be an issue either, but of course, it may be worth of trying anyway

• ... if you really do not use any secondary device for connecting to your watch, such as another phone, or a tablet, don't you by hazard, use a multi-profile environment on your phone, such as for example Android for Work, having so multiple instances of the Garmin Connect app?

• I'll also reach Garmin to see if they can help or at least discover if there is another account messing things up. I'm not sure if I'll get past the "do the obvious" instructions, but I've got to try.

Ok, the Garmin support tech was very helpful and knowledgeable. I've solved the mystery, although my problem will remain unsolved.

The problem is that the serial number (in the case) of my watch does not match the unit ID (in firmware?). According to the tech this indicates a device that was discarded by Garmin, recovered (reflashed?) by a third party and resold illegally. There are hundreds of parings with the same unit ID. The Garmin servers eventually reject the watch because of this.

So, I will try and return the unit. It is defective, but in a very particular way. Thank you . One more case for you FAQ?

• One more case for you FAQ?

Yes, thanks, good idea Wink