This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Active Calories recorded by Edge 830 + Power Meter are overwrited by Hrm-Pro

Hello.

I'm a Garmin user since long time and i'm a cyclist.

My current equipment is Edge 830 (with Power2Max power meter) + Fenix 6 Pro + HRM-Pro strip.

I bought HRM-Pro since a couple of weeks and i noticed that my active calories are much higher since then. I think that this is incorrect, because calories count reported with power meter are much more accurate than calories derived from the heart rate: just think to the fact that average hearth rate can variate day by day while doing the same workout with the same amount of kj.

This morning, before going out for a cycling activity i removed the HRM-Pro from Garmin Connect so it could not synch its data.

This is what Garmin connect reported right before i started the activity. The 1 active calorie was recored by my Fenix 6 (that i removed before starting the activity too)

When i went back home i synched my Edge 830. The new calories detail was this

As you can see active calories were 783. If you take a look to my activity resume you can see that the active calories for the activity were 782 (like the 782kj).

After that i added back my HRM-Pro to Garmin Connect and let it synch. The Calories bumped to 1359.

Why calories recored with the Edge 830 + power meter are being overwrited by those calculated with the HRM-Pro?

They are less accurate than those calculated with the power meter. This doesn't make any sense.

• >> "The problem is that there were already 2000 calories in excess after the race.
    >> Like this morning there were 600 calories in excess just after i synched.

and why not? Did you lay in the bed all the day before the ride, and had no training since 2-3 days? If not, then you record active calories with just reading a book, not alone with the slightest physical activity, or by recovering from the past day(s).

• Yes, i woke up at 4:00 am and went to the grid at 5 am and the race started at 6 am.

The day before i went for 1 hour easy cycling and the day before that one i was off. Basically there was nothing to recover. But still there were 2000 calories more just after the race.

But man, i can give you more examples were the total calories are even LESS than those of the activity Slight smile

I already told to a friend of mine to run my same test tomorrow

• Look at your HR daily data for the concerned day, and the Resting HR on the same day. Then check how far above the RHR you were during the hours before the ride, and that will give you an idea when you generated Active Calories. The more the HR is above the RHR, and the higher stress detected through the HRV, and the higher respiratory rate, the more active Calories you burn.

Data from you friend is completely irrelevant, since he has completely different values throughout the day.

• Today i made another test.

0) Woke up 6am, active calories in Calories details on connect were 0

1) I switched off Bluetooth and Wifi on my Edge 830

2) I went for a ride with Edge 830 (with power meter) + HRM-Pro

3) After the ride my HRM-Pro Synched with Garmin Connect. These were the results.

Is it correct to say that with only HRM-Pro data i burned 544 active calories?

4) After that i swiched on Bluetooth and Wifi on Edge 830 and let it synch the activity with Garmin Connect. These were the results

This is the activity overview

In particular

760kj

759 active calories

124 resting calories

883 total calories

By taking into account the active calories of the previous screenshots

1253 - 544 = 709 that is not equal to 759 active calories recorded in the activity.

What is going on?

• Please note that the active calories calculated by the HRM-Pro data were lower than those calculated by the Edge 830 + Power Meter.

• I do not quite understand why you are syncing the activity twice - once with the HRM-Pro, and the separately with the Edge. If it is just for the testing, then it is all right, but you should not do it otherwise. In this way it is not surprising you get some data double-counted. Correctly, the HRM-Pro should be connected to the Edge, and you need to sync only the Edge. HRM-Pro delivers the necessary HR data directly to Edge.

Please note that the active calories calculated by the HRM-Pro data were lower than those calculated by the Edge 830 + Power Meter.

Yes, but that is to great extent because the data recorded by the HRM-Pro cover shorter time than Edge for some reason (possibly started to record only once you got sweaty, or because it dropped the HR signal at some point, ...). See the difference in Resting Calories - 634 at HRM vs 683 at the Edge. For the same reason also the direct subtracting of the values cannot work. You have to take the duration of both data sets into the calculation too. 

• I do not quite understand why you are syncing the activity twice - once with the HRM-Pro, and the separately with the Edge. If it is just for the testing, then it is all right, but you should not do it otherwise. In this way it is not surprising you get some data double-counted. Correctly, the HRM-Pro should be connected to the Edge, and you need to sync only the Edge. HRM-Pro delivers the necessary HR data directly to Edge.

HRM-Pro must be added to Garmin Connect as a standalone device to track intensity minutes, steps, all-day hearth rate and calories data. You add it to the Edge 830 so it gives the HR data to the Edge activity but all other data are synched directly from the HRM-Pro to Garmin Connect.

I'm not synching the activity twice, i'm just letting it synch different data in different moments for testing purpose since i noticed this explosion in calories count.

Yes, but that is to great extent because the data recorded by the HRM-Pro cover shorter time than Edge for some reason (possibly started to record only once you got sweaty, or because it dropped the HR signal at some point, ...). See the difference in Resting Calories - 634 at HRM vs 683 at the Edge. For the same reason also the direct subtracting of the values cannot work. You have to take the duration of both data sets into the calculation too. 

This is not the case as you can see from Garmin Connect resume there is no missing data.

Last but not least the difference in resting calories was due to to the fact that i took the screenshots, after the ride, at the distance of 20 minutes (as you can see from the timestamp in the top right corner). I can run the same test tomorrow and you will see the same discrepancy.

• I do not quite understand why you are syncing the activity twice - once with the HRM-Pro, and the separately with the Edge

Please note that i turned off bluetooth and wifi on Edge 830 but the HRM-Pro was connected to the Edge 830 via Ant+

• Just to make sure - do you have the Physio TrueUp feature enabled both on the Edge, and on the Fenix? 

• Just to make sure - do you have the Physio TrueUp feature enabled both on the Edge, and on the Fenix? 

Yes, absolutely.