This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

More accurate sleep data?! Awake is not 'light sleep', dreaming without rem-sleep, back-to-bed is also sleep.

I have been awake about half the night for years. I check on the clock regularly to know when I was awake, just to have an idea of how much energy I have the next day. (I have ME/CVS and long-covid, so this is important to me).

• Unfortunatly most of my time awake is registered as 'light sleep'.
  • I had 4 dreams and no recorded rem-sleep. (dreams only occur in rem-sleep).
  • I got up halfway the night and 1 hour later went back to bed. All within my set sleep-time. But it only registered the first half of the night as sleep. The is no 'resume to sleep' button.

How to get more accurate sleep data? 

I shaved the hair on my wrist just to make sure hair is not preventing accurate readings.

This is really disappointing. The sleep and body-battery data is the whole reason I bought this device. 

Garmin Vivosmart4 Smart Activity tracker

• I'm not an expert on this stuff by any means. But there was a thread elsewhere that mentioned battery optimization and background processes... so I tried it and it's correlated (not necessarily caused by), so for now I'm just happy it's working. But like you stated, I was also under the impression that the data lived on the watch (at least a decent chunk of it) until sync-ed up. So I'm not sure.

• @

I now sleep with 3 activity trackers! Garmin, Fitbit and Lefun. Each morning I'm writing down the data and how much I think I slept. Garmin and Fitbit fail. Crazy enough the cheapest chinese gadgets' measurement of 'deep sleep' is the only thing correlating most with my actual hours slept.

I'm sending the fitbit and garmin back. Wierd that what is suppose to be the best quality smartwatch, costing the most money, scores the worst of them all.

• I also have noticed my Venu is very inaccurate for sleep compared to my old Fitbit. Basically it does not track "awake" time at all if you lie in bed awake. Pointless really 

• Agreed, and for the money they cost it’s extremely disappointing. I would not recommend Garmin watches and regret buying it, ridiculously expensive for what you get. 

• Well Fitbit is not without its issues ... Their sports activities programming are rubbish. They are a lifestyle watch and Garmin is a sports watch. The issue is that neither can do both

• Same problem with FR245. I lie awake in bed ~1-2hrs before actually sleeping, but my watch assumes I am light-sleeping. I have to edit it every day in connect. Still not sure if it then update body battery accordingly.