This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin connect battery drain - frustration!

Hi there. Posted this in the Fenix forums, but was told to post it here instead.
I have a problem with Garmin Connect draining the battery on my Samsung Galaxy S21. It uses approximately 15% battery during a full day, running only in the background. During days when it does not drain the battery (after my fixes below), it uses less than 1%.
The watch is a Garmin Fenix 6S.
After googling, I found that others had done the following (with result in parenthesis):
  1. Update the maps using Garmin Express on the computer (solved the problem for maybe 2-3 days, but only the first time)
  2. Remove stored data and cache, uninstall and reinstall the app (solved the problem for one full day)
  3. Turn of auto-update firmware (no effect)
  4. Turn on/off always location permission (no effect)
  5. Turn off bluetooth (no effect, and I want those notifications)
  6. Restart the watch (no effect)
I restart my phone automatically every night. 
This is extremely frustrating. Anyone having additional tips?
  • I agree. I disabled the weather from connecting. And now battery life is normal

• How do you disable weather from connecting?

• I'm on iPhone 12 Pro Max, updated iOS, and Garmin 955. I've noticed my phone's battery gets absolutely destroyed when location settings are set to always. If I set it to while using the app, phone's battery is pretty normal. But then my weather doesn't show up on my watch and I hate that. This is a huge bug and the amount of battery drain is unacceptable.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago in reply to tvieso

And this bug seems to exist for years. For me that battery drain is unbearable. Unfortunatly I think about refunding my garmin epix for that.

• It's a real shame because everything else about the Garmin is great.  But I have just decided that I'll use the weather on my phone, and disable it in the app.

The only way I've found to disable it in the app is to prevent location awareness (ie set it to only check location when the app is open).  I'm going to try using a fixed location for the purposes of weather, and see what happens with battery life.

To be honest, I never expected to see the weather on my watch.  Of course it would be nice to be able to, even more so if the Garmin simply took the weather from the phone instead of the laborious (and probably rather battery-intensive) process of getting the location, sending off to Garmin for a weather forecast, pushing it back down, and then posting it to the watch.

I should also emphasise that with a modern phone, it already records current location all the time, without using loads of battery.  So why the Garmin implementation should be so ridiculously demanding of battery life, I don't know! It appears that Garmin Connect is asking the location many times per second, and let's be frank, I don't run (or even cycle) that fast!

• In Menu > Settings > Phone Permissions > Location set location to something other than "Always".

My phone already knows where it is at all times (it uses a low power mode to check every 10 seconds or so), so why Garmin instantly eats up phone battery I have no idea.

I wonder if anyone from Garmin reads these forums?

• I never had this issue on my old Garmin watch and I did not even have the issue on this one to start with. 1 bad update ages ago and battery drain. I really like the Garmin. But if they can't get the drivers right this might be my last.

• I wonder the same... I have the same issue!15% bat draining since I have my fenix 7. This is unacceptable! But I am learning do not really care about customer complaints 

• They don't read them.  You must call Customer Service and raise the issue.  I called them today and they said that this is a known issue, and that they are working on a solution.  I don't know when they will have the solution ready.  All I can say is that more people need to call them directly and complain, repeatedly, or these issues will simply fester for years.  As it stands now, the App is useless and effectively makes the watch a lot less useful as well.

• Did you get any info on what is causing it in their opinion or what to disable until they fix the app?