This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin connect battery drain - frustration!

Hi there. Posted this in the Fenix forums, but was told to post it here instead.
I have a problem with Garmin Connect draining the battery on my Samsung Galaxy S21. It uses approximately 15% battery during a full day, running only in the background. During days when it does not drain the battery (after my fixes below), it uses less than 1%.
The watch is a Garmin Fenix 6S.
After googling, I found that others had done the following (with result in parenthesis):
  1. Update the maps using Garmin Express on the computer (solved the problem for maybe 2-3 days, but only the first time)
  2. Remove stored data and cache, uninstall and reinstall the app (solved the problem for one full day)
  3. Turn of auto-update firmware (no effect)
  4. Turn on/off always location permission (no effect)
  5. Turn off bluetooth (no effect, and I want those notifications)
  6. Restart the watch (no effect)
I restart my phone automatically every night. 
This is extremely frustrating. Anyone having additional tips?
  • I landed here by googling the same...I'm a new user of Garmin (Fenix 6 pro) and Android/Galaxy S10. I owned a Galaxy Watch 3 before...well...while I couldn't even notice the battery usage before, now it drains very fast and when I check why...I see that just in the last 4hrs Garmin Connect app impacted by +15% the battery usage. I'm not yet familiar with the setup so perhaps I'll have to tweak here and there but I think it's going to be a nightmare....I've switched from Samsung Galaxy Watch to Garmin to get rid of daily/frequent charges and now I just moved the problem to the Smartphone !! :-) Let's see what others say on the topic...

• Has anyone found a solution? I am having the same issue (also with galaxy s21 and Fenix 6 combo)

• I had the same problem on my SONY Xperia. 

Solution for me was: Restricted the Garmin Connect App in the advanced battery options in the battery settings menu of the phone.

Maybe that works/is possible on your phones as well.

• My phone is scheduled to restart every night when charging (this is not related to the Garmin issue). I simply kill the app every morning (force quit) and every time I have opened the app on my phone (which is rarely anyway). All sync-functions still seem to work, but the battery drain is no longer an issue.

• Mine is now ok after a few updates (both on S10e and Fenix)...who knows what's the issue... 

• Somethig is wrong with the app. It started draining my battery sinse the last update a few days ago. I charged my battery last night and it's used 37% of my battery in 19 hours. Just crazy!

• I concur...lost 30% overnight when my phone normally drops 5% max...am seeing Connect high in Battery Usage...says used 15h40mins for the past 24hrs...no other apps are above 1hr.

SINCE Epix updated to 8.18. Coincidental?

• Nope. I agree, it's the new update. I've uninstalled the app and there was no battery drain.

So no doubt it's the update.

• This is really frustrating. I don't know if there has been an update but this has been going on for weeks. I have a Samsung S8 Plus and getting massive intermittent battery drain. After restarting the phone the Connect app always has the notification waiting icon. I uninstalled Connect and lo and behold the battery drain issue went away for at least a week. I reinstalled Connect and within three days the battery drain problem is back. 

• I think it's the weather app.  It seems to think it's sensible to chatter every few seconds.  The moment I disable Connect, or disable weather on the watch (Forerunner 955), battery drain is fine but the watch complains within a few seconds (it shows rain and no current temperature). 

How often do you need the weather updated?  If it updated every 10 minutes, that wouldn't cause the battery drain we're seeing and surely that's far more often than we'd need in reality?