Stress level while sleeping

I'm curious why I have extremely high-stress levels while sleeping especially just after I fall asleep and before I wake up.

My Garmin Vivosmart records some deep sleep, with almost the same amount of REM at night.

It seems like while in deep sleep and REM I have very high-stress.

Should I be worried?

• I'm curious why I have extremely high-stress levels while sleeping especially just after I fall asleep and before I wake up.

The graph shows high stress when it detects low [HR Vriability].  There may be a number of reasons for that - not only stress alone, but also for example physical effort before the sleep, or too much coffee during the day, etc. You best consult your physician, showing him/her the graphs, to know whether you should be worried or not. Do not take advices from user forums (or from the device self) for authoritative or expert answers Slight smile

• I have noticed the same stress reading during sleep.  My take is that the stress reading mechanism by Garmin needs to disable itself during REM and other dreaming sleep just as the body disables muscle/body activity during dreaming.  The dreams are not true stress.

• Stress is measured by HRV (Heart Rate Variability). My stress during sleep is always below 25. Usually around 10.

My stress graph (it looks something like that every day):

Could you post your stress graph so we can have a look? 

• Sorry, I can't figure out how t do that. Any hints?

• Take a screenshot. Attach the image. Click the image button. On a computer you can just paste the image into the text area. 

• These stress levels correspond to intense dreaming on sleep graph.

• Hi! I have the same issue. Very poor sleep in general and high stress levels even though I currently live a serene life. If I get some “rest” it’s between 4-6 am despite being in bed for 8-9h. I do feel tired and my body battery is rarely above 30. If you figure this out, let me know

• I am with you.  Especially with the update earlier in Feb 2023, I haven't seen any blue during my sleep since . My vivomove luxe has has also picked up a lot more intensity minutes.

Starting to wonder if the update has tweaked the algorithm......

• You know, I don't think it's the algorithm...I've always had trouble staying asleep and a few days ago I was prescribed a light anxiety medication. I didn't know I had anxiety. It turns out I might have had it all my life lol. It's very low dosage, but as soon as I took it I felt like I could finally breathe (didn't know till I tried!). My nights are blue now (though I still have some sleeping issues and intense orange the first hour after I fall asleep, but getting there lol). I do feel more refreshed (less exhausted) in the morning. So, I'm not saying that you need medication, by all means, but there is some truth to those readings.

• Appreciate the comment. I do agree there's some truth in the readings. I have been wearing vivomove for a few years now, and kind of established a baseline for my "normal" readings. But since the update, there have been a significant uptick in those readings.

I am an anxious person by nature. But prior to the early Feb update, my sleep stress were typically in the blue zone; and I haven't got a night of blue in the past couple weeks. During day time, it was typically around 50 on work day and 30 on weekends for me; and since the update, it have been in 70- 80 daily.

My intensity minutes before update would have been around 80-90 in a week; it had shoot up to 230 the week after the update, 600 last week despite the fact that I haven't done anything differently. 

Would love to know if anyone has similar findings and how to notify Garmin tech team investigate it.