This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin coach does not sync the status from the watch to Garmin connect.

I have reported this for few weeks through the forum, for 3 weeks to the French support.

I get no anwer about this bug.

Garmin coach is not synchronizing the status of the executed runs from the watch the the cloud.

On the watch the widget mark it as executed but not after synchronization. To avoid beginner questions, I have already performed some training plan in the past with the sane watch. So, I know how it works!

I would like to know what could I do to fix this issue (removing some files on the watch for example ) or to forward some logs on somebody who can analyse the problem.

I try with a factory reset and it does not work.

Thanks.

Top Replies

• It need the technical support of somebody who is able to investigate this bug.

I dare to tell that I could, and I do it frequently on this forum for many other users in troubles. However, it…

All Replies

• Hmm, after resetting the training program, the synchronization works again. May be the software update from 11/18 could be contain a fix.

• Now I have again the problem of non synchronization of the status of Garmin Coach and the training plan hangs.

Toggling the activity type does not help.

As we see in the screenshot, on the watch the training "Répétitions Allures d'objectif" is marked as done, the activity is uploaded, but Garmin Coach consider that the next training is "Répétitions Allures d'objectif" because it is not seen by garmin connect as done.

• OK, I see now. The activity is also correctly synced to Garmin Connect, including the Workout name, so that part is all right too. If I understood well, you already tried pausing and restarting the Training Plan, or did not you? 

Did not you skip or reschedule the concerned workout previously? All the previous sessions synced correctly? Did you try skipping the workout and continue with the next exercise to see whether the same problem occures again?

I see you won't post the link to the activity, so I cannot analyze the JSON data of the activity in the background, but if you wish doing it alone, open the DevTools of the browser (F12 or Ctrl÷Shift÷i works in most browsers), go to the network tab, load the activity page in Garmin Connect Web, and investigate the data packets. 

For example the file starting with the numerical ID of the activity followed byt the question mark, underscore, equal, and the numerical user id is of interest, but there are more of them that are worth of looking at. This is the one, I mentioned:

connect.garmin.com/modern/proxy/activity-service/activity/XXXXXXXX?_=YYYYYYYY

(XXXXXX = activity ID; YYYYYYYY = user id; the user ID can be left away if you want to load the file directly, and are already looged into your account)

To understand where the problem might be, you'd need to compare a workout that was recognized by the TP correctly, with the recent one that is not, and look for the differences in the data. Hopefully there is one.

• I did made 2 runs:

1. The reference run yesterday. The synchronization works perfectly. (connect.garmin.com/.../5863332039)
    2. Today I performed the training from tomorrow. (this should not be an issue since I made this tons of time in the past and Garmin Coach handle it) (connect.garmin.com/.../5861988207)

I tried to toggle the activity type from "Run" to "Run on track" to force the synchronization -> No effect

I tried to pause/resume the training plan -> no effect.

For both activities, I had the same profile on the watch (same shoes, same screens, same data fields). So obviously, there are no reason why the second one should not sync. I the past I had the same situation, and Garmin Coach simply hangs: I made 3 times the same training and it was not updated. I did not try to move to the next one.

I had a quick look on the fit files, but I didn't really see a difference. I'm guessing if I can simply delete the activity and load the fit file directly per garmin connect to see if it can help. But I let you first look on the data.

Thanks for all.

• I had a quick look on the fit files,

If you have already exported the FIT files, it may be the simplest way to fix it. The file normally contains an ID of the Training Plan, and I assume the ID is missing in the one you have troubles with. You can use the healthy file for reading the value, and entering it into the incomplete one. The following post from a former member OnlyTwo explains exactly how to do it:

Coach screw up - can it be fixed?

• Sorry I don't understand how this workaround should work.

As far I understand, there is a missing training ID, I should download the fit file, patch it with this ID and then upload it again?

But for that I need to know the training ID and I need to be able to modify the fit files.

What I was doing is to start a fake activity (of 10s) to trigger the training, and then I get it marked as done. I have then deleted it and then Garmin Coach was marking it as executed. I can then delete it and move forward.

The only nasty aspect is that the progress is no more accurate: the chance to reach the goal decreases. I don't know if this has an impact of the training plan. Also, this workaround is only possible if the training get rescheduled from Garmin Coach. This happen only the next day and I need to hope that when I trigger it that the training is not ignored again.

There is a principal problem here with the synchronization, it is not normal that it work not systematically and that in 50% of the cases the trainings get ignored.

• As far I understand, there is a missing training ID, I should download the fit file, patch it with this ID and then upload it again?

You download the file, enter the TP ID, remove the actvitiy from Garmin Connect, and then import the modified file through the page Import Data.

But for that I need to know the training ID and I need to be able to modify the fit files.

Yes, exactly. That's why I wrote you should compare a previous Activity that was assigned properly (and hence having the right TP ID), with the one that was not recognized as a part of the TP.

There is a principal problem here with the synchronization, it is not normal that it work not systematically and that in 50% of the cases the trainings get ignored.

Of course, it is not normal, but I cannot tell you what the true reason is, since I do not know it. You'll need to contact the Customer Support and attempt to have the case elevated to the higher level support or directly to the developers. The first level support is unlikely to find the solution, unless it is a well known common problem with a documented fix.

• But how to I edit a fit file?

With the FITSdk fron ANT+ I can find some tools to convert it into CSV files, but here I need to edit it without modifying the rest of the data.

Is there a tool which permit it?

• With the SDK you can edit the CSV and convert it back to the FIT file format. A more comfortable way is offered for example with the FFRT program.

• Thanks but I think that I will give up concerning Garmin Coach,

For 3 runs, only one get synchronized. I don't want to waste my time by continuously patching fit files due to bugs of Garmin... I will use other training plans.