This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Cycling badges for indoor cycling

If I use the 'Bike Indoor' profile from my fenix 6 with both Garmin speed/cadence 2 sensors on a turbo trainer, will I be awarded the cycling badges e.g. '50 mile ride' OR will it only award the indoor cycling badges e.g. 'Indoor 20-mile Ride'?

Thanks Paul,

• Well, I had my outdoor badges before the indoor ones, so cannot affirm it absolutely, but practically certainly you will get only the indoor badge for the indoor ride.

• One thing i not understand , after the last GC update, i can choose my statistics from either my Edge 830 or the Fenix 6. For me, the most logic solution would be if they implementet intensy minutes in the Edge . Then i would go cycling, indoor or outdoor, put my fenix on the table or on charge or whatever. Now i use it simultanously for the intensy minutes. The final result is very wrong , despite the physio true up is supposed to get this in line. As today, i have focus on high aerob on my fenix, but my Edge tell me i miss anaerob, the 7 day load are different, the only thing that sync is restitusion time and VO2max. Additionaly the fenix give steps when i am on the bike. This make absolutely no sense for me, i know that Garmin say that only the «daily» tracker give intensy minutes, but what about the people that only have a Edge. And this is a sales argument from Garmin, recomandation from the American health organisasation....blabla. You have any idea trux, is this a kind of substitusion for «full» true up ?

• I do not quite understand the problem with Intensity Minutes. When you wear the Fenix, it will record them (based on the HR), regardless whether you use Edge for recording the Cycling Activity or not.

• Would I get the outdoor badges from using the 'Bike' profile with GPS switched off but with the speed/cadence 2 sensors which provide the distance? Then this could be done on a turbo trainer.

• Normally, you need GPS for outdoor badges. Why don't you simply make an outdoor ride, if you want the badge?

• Just a bit difficult to get out long enough with work and kids to reach 100 miles. Thought it would help motivate me in an evening to finally break the 100 miles even if on a turbo at home.

Never mind, it makes sense really, why else have indoor and outdoor badges. They need to add a 100 mile indoor badge, odd also they have indoor badge 50Km and outdoor badge 50 miles.

Thanks for replying Slight smile

• Just a bit difficult to get out long enough with work and kids to reach 100 miles

I am sorry, but it sounds little bit like a lame excuse to me for justifying the cheating Smiley If you cannot do an outdoor 100mile ride for some reason, why do you think you should be awarded the the badge? It is similarly difficult for many other users, too. So either you really want the badge and find your time to make the ride, or you don't.

• Yeah but, everybody has their own circumstances which dictate their free time. Caring for children & disabled wife etc. it would take me circa 7 hours for 100 miles. Anyway, I agree it would be cheating a bit to give the same badge for both an indoor and outdoor ride hence my point Garmin should add a 100-mile indoor ride badge.

I do however often wonder if people feel hard done by with some of these challenges and badges. Example, I live in a flat area of central England, my 20-mile ride badge would have been a lot easier than someone living in the north of Scotland with huge elevation changes and winds. Maybe Garmin need to make these badges and challenges smarter, so they take account for weather and elevation. Just thinking.

• I can confirm that you will get the outdoor cycling badges for trainer rides.

I took the "Speedy Century" badge on my trainer and also got these badges:
    100-Mile Ride
    Indoor 4-Hour Ride
    Indoor 50-Mile Ride

• Thanks . Bit odd you only get 4 points for riding a 100 miles in under 5 hours (Speedy Century) but 8 points for 100-mile ride which could take a lot longer. Anyway, thanks for confirming.