This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPX Import via Android Connect App

Hi to all,

It seems that the last Connect App Update (4.30) has broken the GPX-file import functionality.
When I try to open a GPX file with the 'open with' command via a file commander the Connect app is showing an error message (an error occurred...)

The previous version could easily import GPX files, but 4.30 cannot. Would be nice if you could enable this import functionality again (an important functionality if you want to import a gpx based route in the fly).

• Nope, makes no difference. Just tried to import the same *.gpx file that I've downloaded from my Connect route library after importing the file to the web service. Cannot be imported with Connect App 4.30, but 4.29 is able to handle/import it.

Here the gpx file I've just downloaded from Garmin Connect web service (they have added timestamps, but makes no difference):

https://www.hrmprofil.de/downloads/tracks/COURSE_32864721.gpx

Maybe they have changed the parse function and uses now 'parseDouble' instead of 'valueOf' for string to double conversion, so that the decimal separator comes into the game (in Germany/Europe ',' is mostly used for that case). I don't know, but I'm not able to import the gpx files on the fly with 4.30.

I have downgraded Connect App to 4.29, so I can life with this issue at the moment (but maybe worth to investigate).

• Again, this file imports just fine with my GCM v4.30, so it is certainly not any general problem with that version, but rather a problem of your instance. And I've set the localisation and language of my Android phone to Germany/German, just to be sure that it is not caused by the localized settings, but it still imports the file all right.

Did you try clearing the cache of the app?

• FYI
    Installing and using a different file manager for calling the 'Open with...' command on my Android smartphone seems to solve my issue.
    Calling the 'Open with' command with some well known Android file manangers (for example Total Commander, that is my default used file manager, GhostCommander and some more) don't work and shows an error message within the Garmin Connect app, but I've found at the Google Playstore two file managers that do the trick (I don't want to advertise here).

Don't know why at my phone only Connect vers. 4.30 has been affected while the former versions didn't get in trouble, but again, the on the fly import is now working again.

Examing the Connect app Garmin didn't changed the manifest (i.g. intent-filter for opening *.gpx files) between 4.29 and 4.30, so that's really a strange phenomenon at my smartphone.

@trux: Thanks (and sorry) for your investigating, your feedback was the main reason why I looked deeper for the cause or more specifically a working alternative last night.

Maybe this helps some others, cause on the german based Google Playstore I've found at least one user comment that deals with import problems too after updating the app to 4.30. Using another file manager can do the trick.(at least for me).

• Hi I have exactly the same problem. Can anyone teach me how a different file manager can solve my issue. In other words what do I have to change on my mobile to solve this issue? 

• He are the steps in a sort of comic style when using the File Commander from MobiSystems (which is working at my phone, but I don't want to recommend a file manager, cause I myself prefer the TotalCommander, which seems to have problems for this special task).

In short words: navigate to the folder that contains the *.gpx files to import and call the 'Open with...' command from the context menu

Hope it helps

• Hi wrpsoft Indeed it works via this file commander app which I really do not understand. Why my standard file explorer from Android does not work...??? I do not like to use a specific paid file commander.... Do you think Garmin will solve this issue in the next release?

Thx in advance for the reply... 

Rien 

• Do you think Garmin will solve this issue in the next release?

I does not really matter what we think. The question is rather whether there is really a problem with the app, or rather just with the file manager. Did you try clearing the data and cache of the file manager app?

• Hi trux

I tried your solution but unfortunately this is not solving the issue. I open an. gpx file via dropbox in the previous version of garmin connect it appeared directly in garmin connect since the new version it suddenly does not work anymore which is really terrible. I used the previous method very often as with internet connection only you can always load any gpx file every were in the world which was great... Fx biking on a spot during your holiday... If someone can help I would be very glad... Thx in advance

Rien 

• It does not really seem to be a problem of the GCM app (as demonstrated eralier), but rather of your setup - possibly your Android for some reasons did not reset the table asscoiating default apps to file types, after the GCM update, and still tries using the old version. Pehaps you need to change or reset the association of the default app for the .gpx file type in Android. Try if the following document helps you fix it: https://www.guidingtech.com/13517/change-default-program-android-file-type-open/

• Well, this thursday it suddenly worked again, importing a gpx file from google drive into the app. Pretty sure I didnt change anything on my mobile phone!