This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Uploading FIT files from Suunto watch app create wrong data in Garmin Connect

When uploading FIT files from Suunto watch app to Garmin Connect, elevation data is displayed totally wrong by Garmin, like 22 m ascent in the original activity and 252 m ascent in the Garmin Connect.  Same data from Suunto displays correctly by Strava which Suunto watch is synched with, so it is clearly a Garmin Connect error.

• I can do the same

It does not look so, since the screenshot you posted does not show the Elevation Correction option, like at the other user. Hence you cannot turn it off.

• What I said in that same sentence you refer to is that I can manually edit the activity from uploaded from FIT file in the Edit mode in GC, i.e. change the wrong data of ascent and descent to the correct values from the watch for this activity. 

• What I said in that same sentence you refer to is that I can manually edit the activity from uploaded from FIT file in the Edit mode in GC, i.e. change the wrong data of ascent and descent to the correct values from the watch for this activity. 

Yes, that's correct. I did not know that your activities made from FIT file imports do no show this option. And you did not mention it before I asked about it. The file may be missing some data. For example about the watch model.

• I do not think the file misses any data. E.g. the same activities synchronize into Strava with no problem, showing exactly the same elevation values. The issue occurs in GC only. 

• I do not think the file misses any data. E.g. the same activities synchronize into Strava with no problem, showing exactly the same elevation values. The issue occurs in GC only. 

I wrote nothing about the elevation data. I wrote that the file does not include data about the watch model, hence Garmin Connect turns the Elevation Correction automatically on, because it assumes in such case that there is no barometric altimeter. And the elevation correction creates a mess, when the elevation from your watch does not match the true elevation of the DEM. And since the accuracy of GPS-measured elevation is in the order of tens of meters, it is more than likely that it happens.

If you want to turn off the elevation correction, try editing the FIT file with the Fit File Tools, where you can use the Device Changer to assign a Garmin model to the activity. You need to use a model with a barometric altimeter (most recent models have it, but with Fenix 5 or above, you can be sure)

• What you suggest is still manually correcting every activity, which I do now anyway, just differently. GC has to do something about it, that's basically the forum is about.

• GC has to do something about it, that's basically the forum is about.

How can the forum change the behaviour of GC? All we can do, is offering you the help in form of tips and workarounds. If you demand software modifications, please contact Garmin, or Suunto (asking them to add the device info to the fit file).

• I kind of assumed this is an official Garmin forum for customer feedback, so that Garmin cn read about the problem and do something. What you say is that they don't. Apparently the issue is there and 'tips and workabouts' don't help much as I have already worked out one myself. The techical problem cn be solved by Garmin only, which I thought is supposed to read these treads as well. Asking too much of them, that is, obviously. 

• Asking too much of them, that is, obviously.

Not telling you are not right, you certainly are, but the offensive and authoritative tone you take since the beginning, sounds a bit strange from someone who owns a Sunnto watch and uses Garmin software for it.

If you want to speak to Garmin, simply use their support channels - email, or phone.

BTW, did you really try calibrating your altimeter precisely just prior the activity? If the elveation coming from the watch matches closely the one of DEM, there will be no significant problem with the import either.