This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

530 unsuccessful pair with phone

hi got my garmin 530 2 days ago, but it just gives me only frustrations

i cant get it to pair with my samsung s9 or girlfriends iphone se

updated it to the latest 3.41 beta version aswell, but without success 

the gps aswell loses connection every few seconds and even standing still the device counts meters and gives random speed numbers

i can see the device via bluetooth and sometimes it gives me a key for completion, but the app tells me that the pairing was unsuccessful and the device is still in searching mode

did i get a faulty device and should i send it back? or am i doing something wrong

• Same problems here with Sony Xperia 1 II and Garmin Edge 530. It just can't be a proper solution to install some old Garmin Connect version to get things work. Especially when these old Connect versions are only downloadable from some shi*ty pages and you can't be sure if apk is really what it says.

People working for Garmin if someone should nowadays know what can happen if you install some suspicious apps or follow wrong urls etc. So Garmin, provide us a fix ASAP!

• Yeah, I discussed this with Garmin CS, at-length a couple of days ago (My OP8 Pro won't pair to either my 830 or 1030), and they flat-out said they were NOT supporting a down-level app version(s).

They said to submit logs, and hope that in a "few weeks, perhaps longer" (that's cut from the conversation, directly), someone look into the problem.

I'm trying to get REI to take my 1030 back, as I'm just over the 3-month mark, currently,

I get that Bluetooth is tricky (I worked on driver-h/w level tests on Win, for a lot of years), but it can be debugged, and it's not THAT hard, if you know a bit of kernel back-tracing (you can see in the Garmin logs, where the BT-NON-LE connection establishes, but the BT CRC value fails to exchange for BT-LE, per the protocol; it retries a few times, and logs an error/fails-out).

Yes, perhaps the OP8 BT stack isn't super-solid (I've sent kernel logs to them, through a filed-bug now), but it can pair to all kinds of other BT devices, including other LE devices (I've tested it with my optical-HR strap, for example), and reconnect, consistently/quickly.  

I guess Garmin is just hoping everyone will give up, and go with a Samsung phone or something, it's insanely frustrating/demoralizing...

Edit: Almost forgot, the Garmin "compatibility list" seems like it's on the order of 3-4+ years-old: https://www.garminmalta.com/faq---is-my-phone-compatible-with-garminrsquos-bluetooth-smart-products.html  They're a big company, you'd think they'd either fix this kind of stuff (update it), or take it down.

• Hearing all this makes me even angrier. Garmin clearly assumes that paying customers will debug their products and send them some logs. Even when customers indicate that the problem exists between their each and every cycling computer and several new smartphone models from different manufacturers.

Having several Garmin products (Fenix 5, Index, Edge 530), I may have to swallow my anger at the moment (again). Ransomware case was the previous huge screw-up. However, there are couple of great smartwatch companies in Finland and I think that Fenix can be easily replaced with Polar or Suunto. Same goes without saying also to smart scale and cycling computer, there exists many alternatives for them too.

By the way, this "compatibility list". Quite a joke. Like Garmin's customer support and public relations too.

• I cannot connect to my LG phone running Android version 10.  It connects okay to my old phone running and older version of Android.  I opened a ticket with Garmin 6 weeks ago, but they still have not fixed the problem.  I was hopeful that the new firmware Version 6 would fix it, but I just finished installing the new firmware and the problem still persists.  I'm starting to get pi**ed. 

• running Android

Moved thread to the GC for Android forum.

• I cannot connect to my LG phone running Android version 10.

Try the Sync / Connection Troubleshooting Guide, perhaps some of the tips can help you fixing the problem.

• I've been through all of the troubleshooting steps without any success.  It's a Garmin problem.  My phone has successfully paired with all of my other Blue Tooth devices, so I know the problem is not my phone.

• Garmin has also told me that a ticket is open.  They say the problem is with the Connect app, not the 530.  I noticed the recent update (late August) to the app said it fixed bugs including connectivity the iPhone, but it did not mention Android.  Arggg.  Very frustrating.

• This sounds like the same problem others are having.  Many get success by using an older version of GCM.  This thread https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/236660/pairing-failed has information and links to other threads.  I think in most cases it seems have to due with android 10 on the phone.

• The latest GCM Android app version 4.36.3 finally fixed my BT problems between Garmin Edge 530 (FW 6.20) and Moto G7  Power (QPOS30.52-29-5).

Thanks Garmin developers - but this really should not have taken so many month...