This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

530 unsuccessful pair with phone

hi got my garmin 530 2 days ago, but it just gives me only frustrations

i cant get it to pair with my samsung s9 or girlfriends iphone se

updated it to the latest 3.41 beta version aswell, but without success 

the gps aswell loses connection every few seconds and even standing still the device counts meters and gives random speed numbers

i can see the device via bluetooth and sometimes it gives me a key for completion, but the app tells me that the pairing was unsuccessful and the device is still in searching mode

did i get a faulty device and should i send it back? or am i doing something wrong

• I'm in the same boat. I just moved from a Pixel to a OnePlus 8 Pro, and my Garmin Edge 530 that I've used problem-free for more than a year now suddenly won't pair with the new phone.  

• I have the same problem, sometimes it connects, other times it doesn't. I have a Huawei P10 Lite, and I have to restart my phone and wait for Garmin to connect, which usually works.
    But I think it's not normal to always have to restart to make it work, and always be in doubt as to whether or not Garmin is connecting properly.

• Hi, did you manage to get yours going, I had the OnePlus 8 pro and had that issue.  Got to the point that I sent the phone back.  I then got the Samsung S20 plus and that paired everytime perfect.  I then decided I wanted to wait for the new Sony Xperia 1 ii and pre ordered it.  Sent the Samsung back and waited for the Sony.  Guess what, same issue as the OnePlus 8 pro.  One thing I did notice is when you look at the Bluetooth device in Bluetooth settings, you can watch the connection name move from connected to previously connected, it flickers back and forth on and off ever few seconds.  It's almost like its connecting then disconnecting.  That would explain why it's not pairing on the Garmin app.  This is not answer but something is not right, is it possible it's Bluetooth 5.1 as I think Samsung S20 is Bluetooth 5? 

• No fix yet.  I've asked Garmin again and they say that they are working on it.  Connecting and Disconnecting is what I got as well, so there is a bug somewhere.

• I am in a similar situation.  OnePlus 5T recently upgrade to Android 10.  Brand new Edge 530 - cannot connect no matter what.

After choosing "Pair" when it shows the PIN, it shows a progress bar and slowly fills it in about 11 or 12 little segments (about 1/3 of the way across the screen) and then stops.  Stops at exactly the same spot every time.  After a minute stopping, it then shows the screen "Pairing Failed".

I also have a garmin support ticket opened.  First recommendation was upgrading firmware to 5.50 via Garmin Express on my mac.  Did that, same issues.

Waiting on another response from them.

• UPDATE - I just tried to pair it to an older Android phone (Moto X, using Android 7) - used the latest version of Garmin Connect from the app store and it paired perfectly.

I think this proves it is related to the Android version or at least the phone, no?

• Same here.

I also have a Garmin Edge 530 with FW 5.5 and a Moto G7 Power. Garmin Connect Mobile (GCM) with BT was OK with Android 9. Initially it was also working after the upgrade to Android 10. Then I did a Factory Reset & Data Wipe of my Moto. After that I also managed to pair GCM via BT with my Moto once, but sync didn't work or at least not reliably. The BT connection was also not established for live tracking or incident detection. I was not able to send a course to the Edge from GCM.

Then I decided to start over: I removed the Moto on the Edge, removed the Edge from GCM, deleted de BT pairing in the Moto, Now all attempts to pair fail. When I try, I get prompted for the 6-digit PIN on the Edge and Moto, which I confirm, but then the progress bar gets stuck at the "e" of "setup" in the text below the progess bar. After a few minutes GCM then reports, that the pairing failed.

• Btw., my Moto G7 Power has no problems BT pairing with other BT devices, e.g. a BT JBL headset, my Lenovo Thinkpad running Ubuntu, and the in-car navigation Ford Sync.

• Here is a screenshot of my Moto showing where the pairing process get stuck, before it fails a few minutes later: drive.google.com/.../view

• The progress bar gets stuck exactly after 12 steps.

I am a long time Garmin Edge user (1000, 820, 520, 530), and I have been using several Smartphone with different Android versions in those many years. I experienced similiar problems several times during the last years, and at least some were caused by Garmin's server backends not being reachable or not replying in an expected way.