This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android for work apps notifications on watch

I recently installed Android for work apps on my Pixel 2 device. The android for work apps are not being offered in the smart notifications list in the Garmin Connect app. Is there a way to include the work segregated apps in the list so that I can receive notifications on my Forerunner 645?
  • Workaround  I have installed the same application ( just installed not configured) in both sections Personal and Work and then added in Garmin App Notification added the app.and worked!!

• FABULOUS !!!....Thanks a lot. Indeed, it works

• Workaround  I have installed the same application ( just installed not configured) in both sections Personal and Work and then added in Garmin App Notification added the app.and worked!!

• Hmm didnt work for me, do inhave to restart the watch?

• After a restart of the phone this is working great work arround!

• Excellent!! I'm glad it worked

• This of course is not a valid workaround for Google apps within that Work profile.

For me it is actually partially working out of the box, I get Gmail notifications from Work but not the ones from Hangouts Chat - and I really want these.

As mentioned before, we cannot even see the apps in the settings.

I guess it comes down to talking to the right APIs, since it is partially working already but not for all apps, there could perhaps be a toggke to allow all android for work app notifications.

• The purpose of Android for Work is exactly what it does - completely isolating two different user profiles - the private one, and the business one. Corporate administrators, mostly for security reasons (but also for others), do not want any unauthorized applications on the private side to have any access to the data from the corporate account. Hence, the role of Android for Work is denying any crossing of the sandbox. Garmin Connect simply cannot (and should not) violate those rules. If you do not like that behaviour, do not use AfW, because that's its main role.

• So how do you explain GMail notifications (gmail account under Android for Work) are still being sent to the device?

This proves that it is technically possible, but it seems like not all apps are allowed under the Android For Work profile.
    It could be simple toggle to "enable notifications for all Android for Work apps"  for example to not mess with the UI too much.
    That would already statisfy the majority of customers in this position.

• So how do you explain GMail notifications (gmail account under Android for Work) are still being sent to the device?

I do not use Android for Work, so cannot test it and tell you exactly, but there are two basic possibilities:

1. You have your Google account registered on both sides (private and corporate) - that's in fact the most likely possibility

2. Google, as the principal developer of Android and AfW, may have created a backdoor for their own services, and can hence bypass the sandbox limitations (I still bet more on the first option)