This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android for work apps notifications on watch

I recently installed Android for work apps on my Pixel 2 device. The android for work apps are not being offered in the smart notifications list in the Garmin Connect app. Is there a way to include the work segregated apps in the list so that I can receive notifications on my Forerunner 645?
  • It simple question for Garmin support, does Android for Work Apps work with Garmin Connect? Yes or No.

I can be Garmin tester, but I paid 800 eur and deserve a support/answer to my question in my humble opinion.

• Garmin does not monitor these forums on a regular basis. This is a user-to-user community forum where we try to help each other if possible. Sometimes the issues become unmanageable by the user. In which case, best to contact them via phone, chat, or email starting on the Garmin Support site. https://support.garmin.com/

• It simple question for Garmin support, does Android for Work Apps work with Garmin Connect? Yes or No.

I do not think that a manufacturer can permanently monitor all the thousands of applications available on the Android market, additionally in the combination with hundreds of different OS versions, builds, and OEM clones, and telling you whether they work in your specific case or not. However, as long as the Android for Work app correctly follows the guidlines of the Android API for notifications, and as long as you have all settings correctly, there is no reason, why the notifications would not work.

• I appreciate the timely reply & info. I've gone over all the steps/tips you pointed out & the work profile apps do not show up in the Garmin Connect\App Notifications page. I have a Pixel 2 XL with Android OS 10 & the work profile apps are segregated from my personal apps. You can tell by a blue briefcase overlay on the icons. After reading over the google support page, I've come to the conclusion that work profile app notifications are not & most likely will not be supported by Garmin Connect. It's due to the data segregation provided by the work profiles in Android. Google says as much within the 1st sentence found on the help page linked below. BTW, this is also the case with WearOS smartwatches. 

support.google.com/.../6191949

• I do understand your point of view. However I can guarantee you that with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and with a Galaxy Watch LTE, I did receive Android for Work Apps notifications with no issues.

• However I can guarantee you that with my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and with a Galaxy Watch LTE, I did receive Android for Work Apps notifications with no issues.

I have no personal experience with Android for Work, but as far as I understand it is a security feature allowing the private use of corporate phones, while isolating both domains. Hence passing any notification to a privately installed application would be a dangerous breach of the security, and thus it is quite comprehensible it is not allowed.

It is possible that Samsung used some proprietary backdoor introduced into their OEM Android clone, but that would be actually a serious security breach too. It is also possible that the enterprise administrator enabled notifications to the Galaxy watch.

• Yes, I am with you on that. Probably between Samsung devices they use some back door...

• I have been reading a bit more info about Android for Work (actually it is now correctly called Android Enterprise, so let's abbreviate it for AE, in the following text). Basically, if you have any troubles getting notifications from AE, you have to speak to the AE policy manager. He has the tools for fine tuning the permissions, and for allowing the notifications to get to selected applications and/or devices. If the enterprise policies do not allow sending notifications to Garmin Connect, you are out of luck, and it is not Garmin to be blamed for it.

• Workaround  have installed the same application ( just installed not configured) in both sections Personal and Work and then added in Garmin App Notification added the app.and worked!!

• Workaround  have installed the same application ( just installed not configured) in both sections Personal and Work and then added in Garmin App Notification added the app.and worked!!