Can we have the watch respect DND (Do Not Disturb) when it's set on an Android phone?

I have a Pixel 3 with a Pixel stand that automatically puts the phone on DND mode, but the watch still vibrates on notifications even though I don't even see them on the phone itself. If the watch would respect DND, it would all work automatically as I wouldn't have to guess my sleep and wake up times.
Side request: if we can't have that, at least let us set different sleep times for the weekend. I work from 6 AM to 2 PM, so you can imagine the my sleep schedule is wildly different on the weekends.
  • Otherwise its a nice feature to have the phone silent in a meeting but still receive messages on the watch.

I would go so far and suggest a feature to turn off the audio notification on the phone whenever it is sent to the watch (like Samsung does).

• There are scenarios for both options. I can imagine simple opt in for one or the other behavior would be more than enough. So far I have reached out to both Garmin and my phone support. While the first decided to shift responsibility to phone manufacturer, the later clearly has stated that it's Garmin Connect issue and not Android. I'm going to get back to them with the screenshot of my chat and video describing the issue.

• Does anyone from Garmin read this? Is there some other place to make feature requests or file usability bugs where employees will actually see it and respond? (I'm new, haven't fully explored the website yet).

Please make this feature. It should be the default. 

If people want to, they can opt-in to having the watch buzz when the phone does not, but that would be a minority of people.

• Is there some other place to make feature requests

Share Ideas | Garmin

• I talked with support. They considered it a phone manufacturer error. I talked with my phone manufacturer support, they told me it's software bug. Garmin support asked me as well for the video of how it works both on iPhone and Android - because it works differently. But I never provided it to them. In the end, I leveraged that bug to avoid annoyances from the messaging apps all the time. In the end, if it's important I hope somebody will call me rather than write me a Signal/Whatsapp message, and calls are passed to the watch :)

• Is there some other place to make feature requests ...

Try writing to [email protected]. I have written to them about this, but received an evasive reply (I will try to find the e-mail exchange).
    Otherwise it really should be such a basic function that there are no words for it.

• Another two reasons why Garmin should implement this:

(1) It's MUCH quicker and easier to activate DND on the phone than on the watch (even ignoring that fact that we currently need to do it on both devices)

(2) With the phone DND, I can set up exceptions, e.g. certain family members can get through in an emergency

As far as I can tell, all other apps respect DND on my phone. Garmin is the exception.

• I can set up exceptions, e.g. certain family members can get through in an emergency ...

That's right! And that's a feature you can't currently solve any other way.

• I'm not sure that at least Android's Do-Not-Disturb exceptions could be passed through to the watch, even if do-not-disturb on the phone did turn on watch's DND. On the phone side, all notifications still appear in the notification pane, even under do-not-disturb. It's just that the phone decides not a make a notification sound/vibration unless the notification is mentioned in the phone's do-not-disturb exception list. However, the Garmin Connect Mobile app on the phone has no access to the phone's exception list! It only sees what notifications are added to the notification pane (and then it forwards them to the watch, which in turn makes a sound / vibrates unless its DND is on). So you wouldn't get those exceptions on the watch, no matter what.

This is different for watches that are made by the manufacturer of the phone (Samsung, Apple, etc.). When both are made by the same company, they can add all kinds of backdoors to allow tighter integration between the phone and the watch. However, Garmin is a competitor, so the phone companies don't have any interest in making things easier for Garmin.

I'm guessing that at least on Android it would be possible for Garmin to turn on watch's DND when phone DND is on, there seems to be a standard way for querying the phone's DND status. But I'm not 100 % sure of even that.