This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express with MacBook Air M1

I have recently migrated from a Windows PC to a MacBook Air (M1) running BigSur 11.2. Garmin Express will not detect my Fenix 5X. the watch is set to Mass storage and I have it connected to the MacBook via the watch charging cable connected to a USB-A to Thunderbolt adapter. When connected, the watch is charging. Any clue about resolving this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

• I’m just pointing out it’s not just garmin. I have a garmin hgv satnav and a tomtom and neither will connect to the m1. Base camp isn’t compatible with m1 anyway but I’ve had a Mac m1 for a year now and it’s ridiculas that I paid £1000 for something and I still have to rely on windows to update my devices. I borrow my daughters laptop. I’ve always been an apple fan and I’ve always wanted a Mac but unfortunately I can’t rely on it completely. It’s fast and amazing but connectivity is just not good enough, £1000 for a computer and people are buying hubs at over £60. Come on apple step up and rsje some of the blame.

• SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter(2021-09) does not work with a 16-inch, 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX.  Don't waste your money!!!  Neither does that Amazon Basics USB3 to USB-Mini.  I have tried both and both are being returned to Amazon.  Garmin really needs to get their act together and fix this problem.  Every other USB device I own works with my new MacBook Pro.

• I just spoke with Garmin Support on another issue and brought this one to their attention (probably for the 100th time). The tech was not familiar with the issue but swore to look into it... at least he was nice...

• From watching the development side of the m1 over the years, i would lean more on the m1 mac's being very much a prototype implementation of their TB4/USB-c  I/O.  I think the problems we are seeing is somewhat to be expected of apple's first home brewed SoC.  They were known to be finicky from the get-go, and apple has been trouble shooting roll-out issues focused almost exclusively on their own product lines (remember, they have much more of an incentive to make sure their own solution, the apple watch, works well, and much less, if any, motivation to make sure 3rd party devices do the same).   

It has become common practice for Apple to "blame the other guy" for years now. This has been true for their app store partners as well as physical hardware developers who are left scrambling every time apply mixes everything up over and over.  I suspect we won't see as many issues with the next-gen "M" series processors, but make no mistake, prototype products have prototype compatibility.

• Much as I admire your healthy cynicism, my wife and I bought M1 Macbooks just after they were announced (her an Air, me a Pro) and we then bought a M1 iMac when they were announced. We have had zero compatibility issues with them, neither hardware nor software, apart from Garmin Express. After spending my whole career in IT, from programmer to executive, I would argue that as everything else seems to work OK, then it a Garmin, not an Apple issue. It's a pain in the neck as we disposed of our Intel based machines so we're stuck Rolling eyes

• Another M1 here: Forerunner working, EDGE working, Navigator VI for my BMW GS NOT WORKING AT ALL!!! Apples says my laptot is fine (I knew it, thx) and BMW says that my GPS is fine ('coz it works on their PC...).

• Please refer to our FAQ:
    Automotive Device Not Detected by Garmin Express on a Mac

Under the section:

Device Does Not Display the Connection Screen or Display as a Drive in Finder

>Macs with M1 Chips and USB-C Ports:

• I have previously posted a workaround for this problem. Garmin Express to BMW Navigator VI fails to sync up with a M1 MacBook Air. In short I found the inclusion of a SATECHI USB-C Multiport Pro Adapter(2021-09) between the Mac Book and the BMW Nav VI device does allow the two devices to sync up with each other. The Satechi device is available from Apple Stores in the UK at £64.95. Expensive but in my case it worked a treat. I was looking at £1600 worth of hardware unusable together. Apple do offer a 14 day money back guarantee so it is possible to check out the operation without losing your cash.

I still have to read a definitive explanation of cause  and resolution to this issue.

• Same problem with my Zumo 595LM..... I've tried many data cables from the oem Garmin Zumo data cable to new data cables. All they do is open and charge the unit when connected to my new loaded 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max running O.S. Monterey. I.M.O. with well over 20 years of using Garmin gps units; "100% lack of Garmin technology." I have a current thread on this issue as shown;

Zumo Forum

• Been through all of that with my new loaded 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max running O.S. Monterey. Does not work.