This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't install Garmin express on windows 7 x64 - Failed. Try Again?

Hi,

I am having major issues trying to install Garmin express. (3.2.13.0) on Windows 7 x64

It gets to "initializing" and then comes up with the "Failed. Try again?" error.

If have run the .net repair tool, rebooted my machine. and still can't get it to install.

I have tried with firewall disabled, Running as administrator and it still fails.

The only way I can make it go any further is running in XP compatibility - then it gets to "Downloading required components" and hangs there.

I have been using the web upload tool as I never got garmin express to work when I initially bought my garmin 2 weeks ago - but the new modern interface does not allow this (and I can't upload to my Garmin using that.

I have scoured forums and tried a few other suggestions that don't directly relate to my issue but non work. I have downloaded to the installer several times to ensure it wasn't a corrupt file.

Please please help me out here Garmin - it shouldn't be this hard

Carl
  • Ok I fixed it...

Not sure exactly what the issue was but I found the install log which seemed to be failing to get..... (C++ libs?)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/E/6/2E61CFA4-993B-4DD4-91DA-3737CD5CD6E3/vcredist_x86.exe

I downloaded and ran the install of this manually.

Ran the install again and it was successful - don't think from th log it was failing to get the download but failing to write something? not 100% sure though.

Thanks

Carl
  • In some cases depending on how the security software is setup along with User Account permissions can cause issues with what has been described. One thing you can try is forcing access to allow the Garmin Core Services to be allowed through to the internet.

1. Press the Windows key+R
    2. Type "services.msc" and press Enter
    3. Locate and right-click Garmin Core Update Service
    4. Click Properties
    5. Click on Log On tab
    6. Select This account
    7. Click Browse
    8. Type Network Service
    9. Click Check Names
    10. Click OK
    11. Remove all text from both password fields
    12. Click OK
    13. Click OK again
    14. Right-click Garmin Core Update Service and Click Stop
    15. Right-click Garmin Core Update Service and Click Start
    NOTE: This is not a permanent fix. These steps must be repeated if Garmin Express is updated to a newer version or re-installed.
  • Thank you, Carl, for the fix.
    I had exactly the same issue - the installation got stuck at "Downloading required components".
    I followed your tip and downloaded the C++ component. I had to restart my computer (Windows 8.1 64-bit). The installation process started automatically after the computer was rebooted.
  • Have you tried the instructions in the other treads? Running from IE instead of saving and then running? Stopping the vcredist.exe process? If you have performed all of that, and tried another computer with the same problems, I would recommend contacting us by phone so we can continue to assist you in this matter:
    http://www.garmin.com/us/support/

Albert
  • Use IE

I had the same problem, on my 64-bit Windows 8 laptop. I searched various threads and noticed that someone (a Garmin staffer I think) suggested downloading Express using Microsoft Internet Explorer, AND ALSO clicking “run” (i.e., don’t save the .exe file, but run it directly from the download). Ridiculously enough that worked for me.

Nevertheless, this certainly constitutes poor performance from Garmin, since this problem appears to have been a problem for some time, well over a year, judging by the other posts. Come on, Garmin techs – don’t try to shift the blame… fix your software!
  • You need to understand that only a relatively small few out of the millions that use Express have issues, and those that do invariably seem to have a problem with their PC. Garmin cannot really be held responsible for the state of everyone's PC :)

Having said that there are of course the occasional problem at the Garmin end, and certainly early versions of Express suffered from initial teething problems and we seemed to get a new version every couple of days if not more than one a day ... but Express has worked flawlessly on my PC for some considerably time now.
  • this method worked for me. I tried all the other ideas I found but none worked. using win 7. on a 350LM I got as replacement for zumo 550, no longer supported.
  • Tried all gave up with WIN 7 64

this method worked for me. I tried all the other ideas I found but none worked. using win 7. on a 350LM I got as replacement for zumo 550, no longer supported.

I tried all in this thread and none works (BTW I should not have to do all these workarounds to install a piece of software if it were bug free).
    Sorry Garmin but this is a serious issue on your side. Get your software debugged, TESTED and running as there are hundreds having this problem.
    Shame on you that you have not come up with a proper solution after such a long time.
    I will now try it on my MAC!

Ciao Jocholo
  • I tried all in this thread and none works (BTW I should not have to do all these workarounds to install a piece of software if it were bug free).
    Sorry Garmin but this is a serious issue on your side. Get your software debugged, TESTED and running as there are hundreds having this problem.
    Shame on you that you have not come up with a proper solution after such a long time.
    I will now try it on my MAC!

Ciao Jocholo

Have exacly the same issue. Have tried all the above 'solutions' without success.
    Have heaps of applications on my Windows 7 64-bit HP laptop that all installed without a hitch including 3 GPS management programs (Zonefive's SportTracks, Globalsat's GS-Sport Training Gym Pro, ALDI's GPS-Master). Unfortunately, none of these will work with my 910XT

I live in Australia and Shouldn't have to ring Garmin in the US at my expense. AS I don't know what else I can do, my new shiny 910XT will have to go back to the store as without working software it is not fully functional.

Happy New Year from downunder
  • Ring the Australian number, I believe it's free

http://www.garmin.com/au/support/contact-support

They should be able to help. As you don't say exactly what issue you're having it's difficult to give better advice. If it's simply 'Failed, try again' have you tried the steps in this FAQ

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B68b703a0-2275-11e4-eaba-000000000000%7D