This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Can't install Garmin express on windows 7 x64 - Failed. Try Again?

Hi,

I am having major issues trying to install Garmin express. (3.2.13.0) on Windows 7 x64

It gets to "initializing" and then comes up with the "Failed. Try again?" error.

If have run the .net repair tool, rebooted my machine. and still can't get it to install.

I have tried with firewall disabled, Running as administrator and it still fails.

The only way I can make it go any further is running in XP compatibility - then it gets to "Downloading required components" and hangs there.

I have been using the web upload tool as I never got garmin express to work when I initially bought my garmin 2 weeks ago - but the new modern interface does not allow this (and I can't upload to my Garmin using that.

I have scoured forums and tried a few other suggestions that don't directly relate to my issue but non work. I have downloaded to the installer several times to ensure it wasn't a corrupt file.

Please please help me out here Garmin - it shouldn't be this hard

Carl
  • Yet another incompetent end-user?

You need to understand that only a relatively small few out of the millions that use Express have issues, and those that do invariably seem to have a problem with their PC. Garmin cannot really be held responsible for the state of everyone's PC :)

Having said that there are of course the occasional problem at the Garmin end, and certainly early versions of Express suffered from initial teething problems and we seemed to get a new version every couple of days if not more than one a day ... but Express has worked flawlessly on my PC for some considerably time now.

I find it rather insulting that you choose to downplay Garmin's responsibility here by claiming that those who have problems installing Garmin Express 'invariably seem to have a problem with their PC', something you cannot possibly know. If 'Express has worked flawlessly' on your own PC 'for some considerable time now', then you're fortunate, but citing smugly your own satisfaction does nothing for those of us with otherwise problem-free PCs (mostly, it seems, 64-bit systems) who have struggled for hours with no success at all.

I will be returning my device for a refund and replacing it with a better-branded item.
  • Well I'm not going to argue semantics with you or how I know about various issues. It's fair to say that at the moment there is indeed a problem at the Garmin end, see this sticky:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?182247-Express-install-quot-Failed-Try-Again-quot

but I can assure you these issues are rare.
  • Your marked change of tone is noted.

Rare these issues may be, but I think that, as a forum moderator, you need to show a little more respect for the intelligence and competence of those who seek help via these forums ... and post more guarded responses. Otherwise all you will achieve is alienation.

Since the (very real) "issue with the Express installation software" has now been officially acknowledged, rather than blamed on the end-user, I will now wait a few days, in the hope of a resolution.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    I have been trying to install Express for 2 days now without success.

While it may seem rare to you, please remember not everyone will go through the hassle of signing up on an official forum to compain.

The problem is present on both my Windows 7 X64 and Windows 8.1 X64 systems. Both are fully updated and standard setup PCs far exceeding the requirements.

Steps taken:
    I have uninstalled the problematic windows update mentioned.
    Installed an old executable for Windows Installer
    Tried the ridiculous steps of choosing to run the installation software from IE instead of downloading. Even though that solution seems incredulous.
    Tried moving the install file to the root directory of C: and running with administrator rights.
    Disabled Windows Firewall

Please address this issue ASAP, it seems to have been a problem for many months now - judging from how many forum posts I've had to sift through.

Also, as a moderator, never diminish the concerns of a customer. As a bystander with the exact same issue it also offended me that you insinuate we don't know how to operate a PC.

You need to understand that only a relatively small few out of the millions that use Express have issues, and those that do invariably seem to have a problem with their PC. Garmin cannot really be held responsible for the state of everyone's PC :)

Having said that there are of course the occasional problem at the Garmin end, and certainly early versions of Express suffered from initial teething problems and we seemed to get a new version every couple of days if not more than one a day ... but Express has worked flawlessly on my PC for some considerably time now.
  • Please read the post two above yours. It explains the issue you're having at the moment.
  • We have just released a new version of Garmin Express to resolve this issue. Any earlier versions of express will no longer install due to changes with the required Microsoft components. You can download the latest version here:
    http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/GarminExpress.exe

Jason
  • Replying to a 6 year old thread I know ....

27-05-2021

Spent absolutely ages trying to install the Garmin 7.5.0 installation on a fresh install of Windows 7 SP1.

I tried installing all the old Garmin installer versions as well. The very old versions would install, but failed the 'sign in' and 'create account' processes.

Eventually I got an install .......

[1] Uninstalled the Visual C Redistributable stuff

[2] Installed the latest Windows Framework 4.8.0 (I previously had the 4.5.2 version)

As soon as the Windows Framework was updated, the latest version of Garmin installed correctly, and everything was good from there onwards.

Hope this helps

Steve