This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express / Nothing "Express" about it... Super Slow

I originally had the standard ANT agent on my computer for downloading data off of my device. I then had to download the Garmin Express Agent and the first time it took 3 hours!! The second time was only hour and it has got a little quicker now. But why is it soooo slow? It only took a couple minutes before...
  • SE England about 85 miles from London.

• Just installed 2022.10 EU maps on my nuvicam and timed this process specially for this thread:

0. Before start: GE advises process will take 38 minutes, and that includes installing maps to both nuvicam and PC

1. 2:48 pm download start
    (8MB/s download steady)

2. 3:22 pm download stops (50%), map activation, start pushing these to nuvicam and later to PC
    (14MB/s upload steady)
    (GE reports 18 minutes to complete)

3. 3:34 pm process completes, map installation to PC was triggered couple of minutes before (missed it actually!)

So all in all 46 minutes. As far as I recall this is what I experience at all times when similar update takes place.

I am based in West London and am connected via FTTC 80/20 Mbps link. No VPN, just boring (but still performing) home Windows 10 PC which will be 5 years old next Jan.

• Dowloading garmin maps is always SOOO slow, on the order of several hours.  Rate's of 5 mb/s down to 588 kb/s currently (on a 100gb/s connection).  Please don't tell me it's my ISP, firewall, config settings or anything else like that since this ONLY happens with Garmin.  Please don't try and tell me it's because I'm downloading via a usb cable to my Nuvi, etrex, CPS 780, etc.... it's not that either, since downloading the map updates to the computer only take just as long.

My question is WHY are Garmin map updates SOOOO slow?

• Well if you read the post above yours you'll see they aren't and my experience over many years with Garmin is that map updates aren't slow, completing in around the time posted above, mine are normally around 30 minutes so while you don't want to hear it it is an issue somewhere in your system.