This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express / Nothing "Express" about it... Super Slow

I originally had the standard ANT agent on my computer for downloading data off of my device. I then had to download the Garmin Express Agent and the first time it took 3 hours!! The second time was only hour and it has got a little quicker now. But why is it soooo slow? It only took a couple minutes before...
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    I'm having the same problem. It has been an hour and it says 3 hours remaining. I am not transferring much data.
  • Likewise. It would me nice to get an answer and a fix for this problem. It's rather irritating. It's probably time to just ditch the Garmin and go with the one of the many cell phone apps out there if they cannot fix this.
  • I am sorry for the troubles. The map update process takes an average of 3 hrs to complete. Garmin does about 150,000 map updates or activations a month. Individual connection speed issues would not be anything we could really help you with. If there was a file missing from a server then we could reproduce it and have the issue fixed but as long as the file is downloading we know that is not the case. The servers are monitored and configured for optimal bandwidth so anything slowing it download would be outside the server. We are alerted to major outages that would affect 10's of thousands of people and they are resolved within a couple of days. Any number of variables could cause an individual connection to a server to slow down. The best advise would be to contact your service provider and inquire about any restrictions or known issues on their side or try the map update download another time or using a different Internet Service Provider.

Again I am sorry for the troubles.

Curt
  • 10 plus hours to update maps on my NUVI is unacceptable...There must be a better way...Please tell me there is..
  • my forcast is 66 hours...

• I'm trying to update to Cycle Map EU 2020.20 but garmin express is downloading extremly slow (2,3 MB/s, estimated time: 66 hours !!!). I just updated to the last express versions in seconds! any help? thx, chris

• I’ve been using Garmin Express for years, in that time I have change ISP at least 3 times, but all gave download speeds around 32 mb/s.

I have no idea how big the updates for your devices are, you don’t advertise it anywhere that I have seen, but the 3 hour estimate given by Garmin Express hasn’t changed in all the years that I’ve been using it. Surely the size of the updates hasn’t remained unchanged since we all used Windows 7?

My experience has been that the updates never complete in less than 3 hours. Improvements in PC speed, memory, internet speed etc. Make no difference- GE remains very slow.

The current update has been running for about 6 hours. My Dell G3 15 laptop has core i7-8750H processor running at 3.96GHz, 16gb RAM (GE is 80.4 mb), 512gb SSD (207gb free) and there are no other programs running. GE shows it is 93.8% Complete and has 47 minutes left. The ‘Rate’ has slowly reduced from 4 mb/s to 416 kB/s at the rate of about 1 kB/s per minute. How do you explain that?

• I have not experienced these issues with slow download speeds, at least not in the past few years. I believe this might be a regional difference. I'm in the States. Maybe Garmin's servers here are better able to handle the capacity and bandwidth. Today I downloaded City Navigator North America for my DriveSmart 61 and to a Windows 10 PC, which according to Windows Control Panel is 4.23 GB in size.

The download started out with an estimate of 23 minutes. It was pretty close to that when completed. My laptop specs are similar to yours. Current speed tests are 96 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up.

• I can only say what I experienced. Setting up my new Etrex 22x took about 7 hours yesterday, then Basecamp took another couple of hours today.

Basecamp still displays the useless "Global Map", but tells me that it's using the TopoActive NE Europe Map. Probably because I live in England, which I believe is in Western (or NortWestern) Europe.

My download speed is about 32 mb/s, which doesn't explain why it takes 20 times as long as you do. The Etrex and MicroSD card contain about 9gb of map data:-

• My download speed is about 32 mb/s, which doesn't explain why it takes 20 times as long as you do.

Not sure where you're located, but could be the difference between the route that the network needs to take to download from the source. Servers and network gear along the way slowing things down. When I get time I could do a tracert from my end. Also, might need to run wireshark to get more detail.