This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map update problem with Garmin Express

I have attempted to update the maps on my Nuvi with the old installer. I was then forced to install the Garmin Express program to do so. The maps and other software updates downloaded alright. However, they never installed on my unit (no warning, no error messages during 5 hours).

I then went to MyDashboard online with the latest Firefox browser. The Garmin site never recognized that the latest Garmin Communicator module was already installed. I then used Internet Expplorer to log into MyGarmin. When I went to the maps update section, I was told that a map update failed and instructed to double-click on the file to start the installation process. However, I never found the bloody file on my computer. I was also offered the choice to entirely remove Garmin Express from my computer. I did so and logged back into MyDashboard. When I attempted to re-download the maps I was again told to install Garmin Express. I did so and I was then informed that it installed correctly. However, the program is now so sluggish that it does not recognize my unit when plugged-in and won't let me register it.

What the hell is going on with your map update process? Is there a solution to my problems?

Frustrated and angry,
  • I have managed to download the full City Navigator Europe NT 2013.41 file but how do I select regional maps to load as the file is over 2gb and it seems is too big to work on Nuvi350?

Any help very welcome

Downloaded it to where with what? To your PC? If so use Mapinstall to install the parts you want to your nuvi/sd card.
  • Yep, the Garmin map files can't be read directly by your GPS. Mapinstall or Mapsource will do it for you, sending the correct file to your GPS.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    Thanks

GOSH. Thanks. That could have saved me countless hours of frustration. Excellent tip:

Uninstall and forget about Garmin Express.

Download and use GarminMapUpdater (the old way).

http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

Keep a copy for next time.
  • Had the same issue.
    myGarmin forced me to use Garmin Express, got "Map update failed" error there, deleting temp files, reinstall, etc... didn't work.

The GarminMapUpdater worked like a breeze and even had the additional option to install just parts of the map package to save space.

A real shame that Garmin forces a shiny new, but non-working update software on customers and doesn't even bother providing a link to the old, working version (unless you google the forums).

Device: Garmin nüvi 1490LMT
  • Sounds to me like your PC has major issues if GarminMapUpdater won't even start.
  • Well you can achieve what you want. Use Garmin MapUpdater to download the maps to your PC then MapInstall to install the parts you want to your GPS :)
  • You probably need GarminMapUpdater v3.0.11.
  • To: STUARTMW

Greetings!

Thank you very much for the solution that you offered to JAZZEUR. I was also having the same problem this morning (Middle Eastern Time) after purchasing a map update online.

Kind regards,
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    garmin express

How does a company of this size and the reputation put out garbage software that makes it impossible for us to update. After a full day of updating and reupdating because the software gave me errors after the download was complete. I am back to square one. Even though I installed a 32 GB card, it doesn't recognize, and I was only able to download the eastern US states. What CRAP!!! I am calling to give someone a piece of my mind. Thank you for those who posted about the web updater. I am going to try that first before I lose my mind.
  • Run GarminMapUpdater and see if that will update your maps. I take it you didn't back up your nuvi at any tme? If you did you should be able to copy the previous maps from your back up to get it working again.