This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Map update problem with Garmin Express

I have attempted to update the maps on my Nuvi with the old installer. I was then forced to install the Garmin Express program to do so. The maps and other software updates downloaded alright. However, they never installed on my unit (no warning, no error messages during 5 hours).

I then went to MyDashboard online with the latest Firefox browser. The Garmin site never recognized that the latest Garmin Communicator module was already installed. I then used Internet Expplorer to log into MyGarmin. When I went to the maps update section, I was told that a map update failed and instructed to double-click on the file to start the installation process. However, I never found the bloody file on my computer. I was also offered the choice to entirely remove Garmin Express from my computer. I did so and logged back into MyDashboard. When I attempted to re-download the maps I was again told to install Garmin Express. I did so and I was then informed that it installed correctly. However, the program is now so sluggish that it does not recognize my unit when plugged-in and won't let me register it.

What the hell is going on with your map update process? Is there a solution to my problems?

Frustrated and angry,
  • I download all the time so if Garmin Express fails it's NOT the fault of my computer.

Well that's a bold statement and untrue, while a failure might be attributable to Express there are all sorts of reasons why a program could work one minute and fail another that has nothing to do with it. What specific issue are you having?

Edit: I see you've raised your issue elsewhere and it's been answered.
  • Where exactly has my issue been answered? My download has been going for nine hours and not a single byte has been downloaded. BTW, I synced and updated my DeLorme InReach and it took about three minutes. I downloaded the latest version of Garmin Express (again) and the download and installation went fine.

If you look at the number of posted complaints on the forum about Garmin Express it clearly shows that the software doesn't work properly. Garmin should own up to the fact and fix it. I'm a former programmer and I know buggy software when I see it.
  • There are hundreds of thousands new users of Express every month. A small handful have problems. The vast majority of those are traced to problems at the user end. As a former programmer that should indicate to you that the problem can't reasonably be pointed at Garmin.

Your problem has been answered in your other post by Garmin. I would suggest you follow it there as it gets confusing having multiple threads on the same problem.

This thread has now become unwieldy with many different queries answered and beginning to simply turn into a rant that helps no one. The last valid question was in December so I'm going to close it. For anyone having issues still please start a new thread.