How did you can load a new carte in your Garmin Edge 830?

Hello,

After connecting my Garmin device to Garmin Express, a message appeared telling me that the card on my Garmin Edge needed to be updated. So I updated it in 3 hours! However, after about 20 minutes, I got an error message telling me that my Garmin's internal memory was insufficient. So I can't install this new card! Worse still, the map that was previously available on my device is no longer as detailed! I'm really annoyed by this, given that it was Garmin who told me to carry out the update, even though it hadn't been done yet. Losing the map I had before the update is very embarrassing!

Thank you for your help so that I can install the map on my Garmin Edge 830 again!

All the best,

Aymeric G

• What you could try to do is to follow the instructions in this article: Installing Maps on an Edge Without an SD Card. First follow the instructions on removing map image files, then follow the instructions listed under "Can I Reinstall the Maps That Came With My Device".

If there is still not enough space on the device you can choose to install a region, for example for Europe you can choose between West, East and Central region. This will install a smaller subset of the maps. This is only available for large map areas like Europe and North America.

• Hi @JungleJim, thanks for your reply. I have tried to follow the instructions in the article you gave me. I deleted all .img, .gma and .unl files. This hasn't had any effect on my problem, which is still there. I have seen that there is a .IMG folder that is very large (11 Go) and I suspect that this could be the source of my problem. The folder is named: D6017110A.img. You can see from the images below what this folder is and what is stored in this folder. Can you please tell me if I can delete this folder or not?

I want to install the European map, but only for France, Switzerland and Germany. I do not want to install the map of Eastern Europe, how can I do this?

Thank you for your help in reinstalling the map on my Garmin Edge 830!

Kind regards!

Aymeric G.

• Not sure why there would be an .img folder on your device, normally it would just be a single file. It looks like some app has unpacked the image file.

I would just copy the .img folder to your computer (as backup) and then delete the folder from your unit and then reinstall the Cycle Map Europe region you want with Garmin Express.

As for downloading only specific countries, that is not possible. You can either download the complete Europe coverage, or the West, Central or East region.

• I have basically the same problem on my Edge 830, think this latest update is flawed:

I deleted and reinstalled the maps according to the link you posted and then installed the update (which is labelled just "Eastern Europe") via Express. Now I have maps for West, Central and East on the device with three files at 3GB each and now almost 90% of the memory occupied.

There is no option for choosing one of the three regions for installation. The "Eastern"-Update is the only available and it installs all three regions.

But the "best" thing is: I found that the Eastern (activated by default) as well as the Western lack almost all details, only the Central Europe Map offers the level of detail I was used to (I am in a country covered by all three regions).

So how can I get rid of the useless Eastern and Western Europe maps?

• On what version of Express are you? The latest 7.23 version seems to include fixes for not being able to select the correct cycling map region, so this may fix the issue you're having. If so please report back here for confirmation.

• I am on Express 7.23, it updated before the map update

Just for info: I do not have that folder that SOM25 is reporting, just the files in the Garmin folder as it should be.