This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SLOW map downloads - what IS the solution?

Yes, I know there are multiple messages on this subject.  Yes, I know I will be told "most people don't have a problem" and to contact my ISP.  Nonetheless, there ARE issues with Garmin map downloads and clearly, many people DO have an issue.  I have put up with it for years (multiple ISPs).  It's a pain, especially with multiple Garmin devices and PC's.

I have a fibre connection with my ISP.  1GB up/down speeds (about 800Mb/s confirmed on my PC).  Unlimited internet data.  My ISP does NOT throttle downloads.

I use direct wired connections to my computers (no WiFi).

I only have this issue with Garmin.  Yes, they are probably the largest files to download, but other large files, from other suppliers, transfer very fast.  And no, I'm not talking about buffered streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube or others that only really run at a few Mb/s.

When I first start the download on my Windows 10 computer, things move along quite well (20-30Mb/s) but then they slowly dwindles down to 400kb/s and finally it just times-out (ya, it sure looks like its being throttled, but where?).

I then tried my older Windows 7 laptop and the download was successful.  Although it did take a while (as expected), speeds were reasonable (consistent ~8Mb/s +).

I tried my Win10 computer with the same painfully slow response as noted above.  (even just downloading to the PC, not to the Garmin device).

I'm using Garmin Express 7.7.1.0

So, if the issue is NOT Garmin, and it is NOT my ISP, what is the issue?

Is there some incompatibility with Windows 10?  Firewall?  MS Defender?

This IS an issue for many users.  There must be better guidance.

Has anyone actually SOLVED this puzzle?

• It's a USB2 device, but does it utilise USB2 interface? It's down to hardware and software (OS) to manage that and if there are issues or constraints, there might be bottlenecks.

Read the thread above and use the tool I suggested to the OP to verify and troubleshoot.

• getting back to my original post.....

Now that my Win10 desktop, Win7 laptop, Garmin nuvi 1350 and Garmin DriveAssist 51 have been updated to the latest software and maps, how can I repeat the process (since I never identified the original slowness)?

If I connect my GPS and launch Garmin Express, will it go through the entire reinstall process?

• Hey there Krzemien and SUSSAMB, don't leave me now!  (after all we have been through together....)

I still have not resolved my issue of slow download speeds as they magically went away (possibly the issue is with Garmin's servers).

As I noted, now that my Win10 desktop, Win7 laptop, Garmin nuvi 1350 and Garmin DriveAssist 51 have been updated to the latest software and maps, how can I repeat the process?

If I connect my GPS and launch Garmin Express, will it go through the entire reinstall process?

I know I can obviously try it, but I do use my DA51 fairly often and don't want to risk screwing it up.

• I'm still here - so is SUSSAMB I gather? - but there's not much I can really suggest at this stage...

Best if you could wait for another release - should happen in couple of months's time - and re-check the upload then?

• Hey there Krzemien and SUSSAMB, don't leave me now!  (after all we have been through together....)

I still have not resolved my issue of slow download speeds as they magically went away (possibly the issue is with Garmin's servers).

As I noted, now that my Win10 desktop, Win7 laptop, Garmin nuvi 1350 and Garmin DriveAssist 51 have been updated to the latest software and maps, how can I repeat the process?

I know I can obviously try it, but I do use my DA51 fairly often and don't want to risk screwing it up.

• Not sure what you now wish to repeat? If you launch Express and connect your GPS nothing will happen unless you click on an install button.

• well... let be a little more clear.

I had very slow download speeds on my initial attempt to update maps (the problem a number of people have reported).

With input from people such as Krzemien and yourself, I tried to spend some time to explore the download process with the intent of clarifying what was causing the slow speed issue.  As you have stated, many people do not have this issue but WHY DO I AND OTHERS?

After poking around, trying to identify the problem, and really not changing anything, I had a successful download with good speeds.  However, I have not, as yet, identified any limitation with my setup.

Now that my maps have been updated (and I don't know why I finally had good download speeds) I thought I would repeat the process to see if the issue can be duplicated.

My goal is to solve the mystery of why a number of us have slow download issues.

So, my question is this:  What steps do I need to take to fully repeat the process?

If I launch Express, connect my GPS and click on install, will the full download process be repeated or must I first delete maps already on my PC and/or GPS?  (I am concerned that Express will know that the current map is installed and therefore do nothing)

• Ah ok, I now understand. You should have the option in Express to reinstall the map to your device. On your PC you can delete the map via Control panel, if you want to check that aspect.

However you will need to delete the map files that Express uses to compile the map for your device as those are the files that are initially downloaded to your PC. They would normally be in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads

• Krzemien and SUSSAMB

carrying on with my education....

If I understand correctly, the map update and/or reinstall process, to the device, is basically this:

1) The map data is downloaded to the local computer.  This is a process that typically would transfer at 8MB/s (or better) and take about 10 minutes (or less) depending on your home internet speeds, etc.  This is also the process that runs up to the "50%" point.

2) Map data is then transferred to the device (called "Activating maps").  The data residing on the computer, must be compiled as it is sent to the device.  This process might transfer at at slower rate of 1MB/s and take about 1 hour (or less) depending on your computer processing power and the device you are transferring to. This is also the process that runs from the "50%" point to the "100% completed" point.

If I generally have the above process correct (data is transferred to the computer as a first step, then subsequently transferred to the device) then it would indicate that my "slow" transfer speeds occur during the download to my computer as I often don't make it to the 50% point.  Again, if I have this correct, then I can focus on data transfer tests from Garmin to my computer and not be overly concerned about the transfer to the actual device.

Do I have this correct?