This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SLOW map downloads - what IS the solution?

Yes, I know there are multiple messages on this subject.  Yes, I know I will be told "most people don't have a problem" and to contact my ISP.  Nonetheless, there ARE issues with Garmin map downloads and clearly, many people DO have an issue.  I have put up with it for years (multiple ISPs).  It's a pain, especially with multiple Garmin devices and PC's.

I have a fibre connection with my ISP.  1GB up/down speeds (about 800Mb/s confirmed on my PC).  Unlimited internet data.  My ISP does NOT throttle downloads.

I use direct wired connections to my computers (no WiFi).

I only have this issue with Garmin.  Yes, they are probably the largest files to download, but other large files, from other suppliers, transfer very fast.  And no, I'm not talking about buffered streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube or others that only really run at a few Mb/s.

When I first start the download on my Windows 10 computer, things move along quite well (20-30Mb/s) but then they slowly dwindles down to 400kb/s and finally it just times-out (ya, it sure looks like its being throttled, but where?).

I then tried my older Windows 7 laptop and the download was successful.  Although it did take a while (as expected), speeds were reasonable (consistent ~8Mb/s +).

I tried my Win10 computer with the same painfully slow response as noted above.  (even just downloading to the PC, not to the Garmin device).

I'm using Garmin Express 7.7.1.0

So, if the issue is NOT Garmin, and it is NOT my ISP, what is the issue?

Is there some incompatibility with Windows 10?  Firewall?  MS Defender?

This IS an issue for many users.  There must be better guidance.

Has anyone actually SOLVED this puzzle?

• No, they are in a different location. These are the files downloaded by Express that enable the map files to be compiled to send to your device.

• so map files need to be complied before they get sent to the device?  Is that why it takes so long to transfer (after the 50% point in the download process)?

• Correct, installed maps on a PC for BaeCamp etc. are usually pushed to here:

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps

• For installation on the device:

0-50% maps are being downloaded to temporary destination (typically: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map)

~50% - maps are being activated - which really means: unlocked, by generating unlock codes & associated files

50-100% - maps and associated unlock files are being pushed to the device. Speed is dependent on the performance of both the interface itself & device memory (this is USB2 interface). Transfers around 10-15MB/s are typical in my experience.

• Krzemien or SUSSAMB - what functions do WebUpdater and MapInstall perform?

I have them installed but never seem to use (need) them?

• I believe both precede Garmin Express and were used for (respectively): updating device (firmware, options etc.) and maps.

They may still work in case of legacy OS or devices, but Garmin advises to use GE in all cases (or: unless otherwise stated).

• MapInstall allows you to send certain maps installed to your PC to a device, and is part of BaseCamp as well as a stand alone program. MapUpdater was the predecessor to Express. Note MapInstall only sends the map, not all the other files handled by Express and needed for most modern devices.

• On my Edge 1030 I find that the copying of maps to a microSD card in the 1030 is many times slower than the copying of maps to the same microSD card removed from the 1030 and placed in an SD card reader.

I just performed a test, copying a 397Mb file to the microSD card (a class 10 32Gb Kingston). PC is a fairly fast desktop with 32Gb RAM running Win10 x64.

1. With the card in the 1030 and the 1030 connected to the PC with a USB cable, average throughput for the copy: 292Kb/s. I tried both USB2 and USB3 ports with two different cables, and the performance remained the same.

2. With the card removed from the 1030 and placed in a USB SD card reader connected to the same PC with the same cables, average throughput for the copy: 11Mb/s

That's a 38x speed improvement with the card removed from the 1030. 292Kb/s isn't even USB1 speed.

You can make Basecamp see an SD card on its own as a Garmin device by copying garmindevice.xml from the /Garmin folder on the internal device memory to the /Garmin folder on the SD card.

• Yes, many older Garmins had only a USB 1.0 so transfer will be substantially slower than direct to a card. More modern devices have at least USB 2.0 interfaces, which can be up to 40 times faster.

• I'm talking a 1030, hardly an older device. When interrogated using lsusb it *claims* to be a USB 2 device, but given the absymal throughput with the card in the 1030 vs the card in the reader, I don't believe that claim.