This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SLOW map downloads - what IS the solution?

Yes, I know there are multiple messages on this subject.  Yes, I know I will be told "most people don't have a problem" and to contact my ISP.  Nonetheless, there ARE issues with Garmin map downloads and clearly, many people DO have an issue.  I have put up with it for years (multiple ISPs).  It's a pain, especially with multiple Garmin devices and PC's.

I have a fibre connection with my ISP.  1GB up/down speeds (about 800Mb/s confirmed on my PC).  Unlimited internet data.  My ISP does NOT throttle downloads.

I use direct wired connections to my computers (no WiFi).

I only have this issue with Garmin.  Yes, they are probably the largest files to download, but other large files, from other suppliers, transfer very fast.  And no, I'm not talking about buffered streaming services such as Netflix, YouTube or others that only really run at a few Mb/s.

When I first start the download on my Windows 10 computer, things move along quite well (20-30Mb/s) but then they slowly dwindles down to 400kb/s and finally it just times-out (ya, it sure looks like its being throttled, but where?).

I then tried my older Windows 7 laptop and the download was successful.  Although it did take a while (as expected), speeds were reasonable (consistent ~8Mb/s +).

I tried my Win10 computer with the same painfully slow response as noted above.  (even just downloading to the PC, not to the Garmin device).

I'm using Garmin Express 7.7.1.0

So, if the issue is NOT Garmin, and it is NOT my ISP, what is the issue?

Is there some incompatibility with Windows 10?  Firewall?  MS Defender?

This IS an issue for many users.  There must be better guidance.

Has anyone actually SOLVED this puzzle?

• Yet I and others have no issues, and those like us generally don't go on forums to say our downloads are ok. If we all had the problem then I agree it would be a Garmin issue but as just a relatively few have how do you explain it given others have no issues? 

I've corresponded over the years with some having issues, obtained a copy of their xml file, created a clone of their device and checked to see if there is a problem. I've always been able to download a map quickly that they tell me was taking hours and/or failing.  

• Hello SUSSAMB

I presume you are trying to be helpful, and you seem to be a knowledgeable person, and you are correct in that people should reach out to Garmin for assistance.  However, I have reached out to Garmin and only receive boiler plate, canned responses such as "check your computer" and "check with your ISP provider".  All of these DO NOT address the issue.

I for one will not blame Garmin (as yet) for the slow download problem.  I acknowledge that there might be something else going on. What I will do is try to dig a little deeper, confirm that everything Garmin suggested (which are all fairly simple, already understood and generally should not be the problem) is correct.  I'll even un-plug my computer and plug it in again!

I am very frustrated by the fact that I only have this issue with Garmin.  And the typical, plain vanilla, "everything is OK on our end" canned support responses are not helpful.

Although you say "the vast majority have no issues", there are many who DO HAVE THIS ISSUE.

You seem to be one of the lucky ones that has no download problems.  Stating such is of little value (I assume most people don't have a problem otherwise Garmin would not be able to update their products).

If you are knowledgeable in the inner working for the Garmin download process, why not be really helpful (like Krzemien) to your fellow Garmin users on this form and help with troubleshooting.  I for one, would welcome the assistance.

• Not disagreeing with you above (and dismissing my helpfulness either - let's see if we get some results first!) Sussamb is obviously right: no one will praise anything in the open if something is simply doing its job, but will jump through any hoops and start venting frustration on-line if it does not. So I agree with him: there surely must be much larger population that gets these maps downloaded & updated without issues. Sad, but true.

Also, one afterthought based on your previous update: I do not know how the update process works exactly, but I daresay device needs to be connected and remain visible by GE throughout the whole process, i.e. also during the download stage - otherwise this process stops.

I do wonder if that's not the culprit here, i.e. your device somehow gets disconnected / re-connected and things go off-piste? I might be completely wrong though.

In order to ascertain it you would need to raise a case with Garmin Support, and - as tough as this task is - step over First Line Support until you get in touch with someone from the Second Line who will actually start checking the details based on your logs rather than following the script and information from Support pages...

Putting the above aside, please do keep me posted how your experiments turn out.

And the last query: do you connect your Garmin straight to USB port in your PC, without any hub sitting in the middle?

• Yesterday (July 25, 2021) I ran another download test.  I am using an 8 year old Lenovo T430 laptop running Windows 7, with an SSD drive, direct wired (no WiFi) to a 100Mb port on a switch connected to my 1 GigE FTTH ISP router.  I have confirmed download/upload speeds to this laptop at about 87Mb/s in both directions, which is what I would expect. I typically see data rates of 800Mb/s directly off my ISP switch so the limiting factor here is my 100Mb/s switch.

To ensure a clean starting point, I uninstalled Garmin Express and all other Garmin applications and data, then restarted the laptop.  I launched Windows Resource Manager to monitor data traffic.
    As per Garmin, I connected my DriveAssist 51 (direct USB connection with no hub), then downloaded and installed Garmin Express (v7.7.1.0).  The file size was 130,156KB and it took about 20 seconds to download.

Next, I downloaded and installed "Full Coverage of North America 2022.20" on my laptop by selecting "Install to Computer" (not the device).  I had a sustained average data rate of about 7.5MB/s (60Mb/s) which is reasonable, and expected on a 100Mb/s port.  The transfer (to the "50%" point) took 10 minutes.  The process ended shortly thereafter.  I had no stalls or interruptions in the data transfer.  The transfer ran flawlessly.  I removed the DriveAssist 51.

I then launched Garmin Express and connected my nuvi 1350.  There were 4 updates available.  I chose to update the map only.  I selected "Device only" and began the download process.  The file downloaded at a sustained rate of about 8.6MB/s (69Mb/s).  I thought this odd as the map was already on the computer and I had presumed it would be a direct transfer from computer to device.  At at the 50% mark (7 minutes) it switched to "Activating maps".  There was no evidence indicated by Resource Manager of any further data being transferred on the Ethernet port.  The data transfer rate in the Garmin window dropped to about 980KB/s (7.9Mb/s) and remained there until the process finished 66 minutes later.

I removed the nuvi 1350 and "City_Navigator_North_America_NT_2022_20" had been successfully installed.

Conclusion?   Not sure.  The above process worked as it should (I believe).

It seems that map updates "to the device" are first loaded on the computer (at high speed) and then transferred to "the device" at a much slower rate.  Presumably limited by the speed of the individual devices, albeit surprisingly slow.  This might explain the initial fast data rate, up to the 50% point, and then the slow, and confusing, transfer to the device.  If this is the case, it would be helpful, and provide more clarity, if the software would state what action is was performing at any given time throughout the process.

I would like to try the same "download to device" test with my DriveAssist 51 (I had trouble with it previously) however I use this device fairly often and do not want to screw it up.

I will think about my next step.

Stay tuned....

• Thanks very much - procedure by the book (as per Support's recommendations ;-) ) and outcomes seemingly as well.

Few comments:

I thought this odd as the map was already on the computer and I had presumed it would be a direct transfer from computer to device.

Maps for device and maps for PC are two different items being downloaded from Garmin servers. When you browse the C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map folder you will see both sources in separate folders.

Also, data transfer to your device - from 50% mark - is within expectations (give or take).

it would be helpful, and provide more clarity, if the software would state what action is was performing at any given time throughout the process

I think GE in fact does indicate that? Can't remember what is the message from 50% mark onwards, after "Activating maps", "Installing maps"?

Otherwise well done.

Please let us know how you get on with your DriveAssist 51.

• Krzemien - what is the method to delete files off my DriveAssist 51 and/or Windows 10 PC so I can repeat the download process?

• Why would you want to delete any map files off your DriveAssist 51? GE would overwrite / update these as needs be (assuming that all works as expected, that is).

But yes, you could remove these files manually from the unit - a bit fiddly but doable, you need to do it in mass storage mode rather than MTP; also, you need to know which files exactly - but it's rather best to copy them rather than delete in case you want to restore them at later stage.
    Both of the above can be found in the Internet.

Also, I understand that your DriveAssist 51 does have previous version of these maps you're trying to update, i.e. North America 2022.20 (so: 2022.10 or earlier) - is that correct? Which one exactly?

Separately: I understand that previous (successful) attempt took place on Windows 7 laptop. Why would you want to update maps on the second unit via Windows 10?

If I were you, I would do as follows:

1. As source map files that are pushed to the sat-nav units should be the same (should being the key operative word here, there's two different versions of these maps if I recall correctly? Or perhaps that used to be the case and only in EU? Sussamb would know), I would check if - once you connect DriveAssist 51 and start the update process - if GE moves through the first half of the overall process hastily and picks up the hard work from 50% mark onwards, i.e. from 'Activating Maps' stage onwards.

2. Alternatively, I would delete freshly downloaded files under C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map and repeat the attempt to get maps updated on the device.

• Why would you want to delete any map files off your DriveAssist 51? GE would overwrite / update these as needs be (assuming that all works as expected, that is).

I should explain that my goal is to test (and retest) a download to my DriveAssist 51 through my Windows 10 computer.  I had trouble with this initially, which started this thread.

I presumed I would need to delete the existing file on my DriveAssist 51 in order to fully enable the download process.  I may be mistaken.  Will GE overwrite an existing file, even if it is the current version?  (GE reports "You're up to date!")

I understand that your DriveAssist 51 does have previous version of these maps you're trying to update, i.e. North America 2022.20 (so: 2022.10 or earlier) - is that correct? Which one exactly?

There are 3 maps currently installed on my DriveAssist 51.  They were installed successfully with my Windows 7 laptop.
    1) CN North America NT - 2022.20 Parkopedia
    2) CN North America NT - 2022.20 Foursquare
    3) CN North America NT - 2022.20 ALL

I believe these are the latest released versions.  I really have no idea what the difference is between these maps.

Separately: I understand that previous (successful) attempt took place on Windows 7 laptop. Why would you want to update maps on the second unit via Windows 10?

As noted above, I had trouble with my DriveAssist 51 through my Windows 10 computer, which started this thread.  I want to confirm that 1) the issue still exists or 2) it will work with improved procedures.  I am still trying to determine why I have (had) such poor download performance.  Although I have had success, it has been a (seemingly) hit and miss process.  The question remains unanswered:  Why are (were) some of my downloads painfully slow?

If I were you, I would do as follows:
    <snip>
    2. Alternatively, I would delete freshly downloaded files under C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map and repeat the attempt to get maps updated on the device.

I'm a little confused here.  Why do I need to delete the files in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map in order to update maps on the device?  Do I not need to delete the files on the device (see my questions above)?

Thanks for your continued guidance.

• Thanks, now I get it.

I thought there's an option in GE to reinstall maps that are already on the device?

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=dyYgXK9i6C3FkS9sU5xDcA

And assuming it's still there, then: no, you would not have to remove existing maps or delete any files.

AFAIK the maps you have on your device are the most recent ones and consist of main map file and Foursquare & Parkopedia searchable databases (add-ons) that allow you searching for specific POI or parking spaces. There would be number of files placed on the device associated with these entries in different places.

(Also, your other device might not necessarily have the same options (i.e. Foursquare & Parkopedia) so it would be only map file that would be relevant in this case)

Query: did your GE problems were always associated with Windows 10, but not Windows 7? If so, I would be investigating this aspect.
    Another query (another long shot): do you have 'metered connection' applied in Windows 10 Settings?

Last but not least: all files in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map might be deleted after successful update - you don't need them, they will be re-downloaded if needs be and GE ought to be removing them automatically really...

• I thought there's an option in GE to reinstall maps that are already on the device?   And assuming it's still there, then: no, you would not have to remove existing maps or delete any files.

Yes, I see that option in GE.

AFAIK the maps you have on your device are the most recent ones and consist of main map file and Foursquare & Parkopedia searchable databases.

Yes, this is the case.

your other device might not necessarily have the same options (i.e. Foursquare & Parkopedia) so it would be only map file that would be relevant in this case

Yes, my nuvi 1350 only has the single map file.

Query: did your GE problems were always associated with Windows 10, but not Windows 7?

I hate to be picky but "always" is a leading term (but I know what you mean).  I can't say yes, it has "always" been OK with Windows 7 as don't download enough Garmin maps to be able to definitively state such.  I do know, to the best of my memory, that I have had various download problems over the years with different computers and OS.  Previously, I would just give up or try again at a later date.  This time however, I have vowed to find out what the issue is.

do you have 'metered connection' applied in Windows 10 Settings?

"metered connection" is turned OFF

all files in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map might be deleted after successful update - you don't need them, they will be re-downloaded if needs be and GE ought to be removing them automatically really...

hmmm...  that location has a folder called "Map_Map.NA.2022.20".  It contains 15 files and 18 folders totaling 4.7GB.  Is this not where the maps are located to be used by Basecamp, etc?