This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin express says I have 2021, drivesmart shows 2019

Just receivedy drivesmart 61 and BC40 direct from Garmin. Love the GPS, backup camera was a breeze, voice commands work fantastic.

I hooked up the drivesmart 61 to my PC(actually 2 different ones) as I did with my Zumo 395 and 396. GE launched and wanted to update the unit. I already know the unit had 2019 maps installed. To my surprise, GE said it'd take a couple of minutes to update the unit.

It showed 6 updates. After it was finished, it said my drivesmart was up to date, said it had the 2021 maps.

Disconnect drivesmart, turn on and it does it's little green bar updating several times. When it's done, I view 'mymaps' on the device and it's still showing 2019 for CN Garmin, Foursquare and one other source I don't recall.

Hooked it back to PC, GE launches and says it's current, says 2021 map on unit.

I launch basecamp, basecamp shows the unit has 2019(which is what the drivesmart says it has)

What gives?

I tried a second PC, same results. I connected to my  wifi and the drivesmart says there's a new map to download and update. I tried that(as I did with my Zumo 396), and it failed to finish downloading.

How do I get GE to realize the GPS doesn't have 2021 maps on it?

• Sounds like an incorrect xml file, delete GarminDevice.xml fle in the Garmin folder, reboot your device as that recreates the xml file based on information on the device, then try again

• I figured for sure you had it! Unfortunately, I removed the Garmin device.xml from the Garmin folder on 61, eject from PC, power on GPS. GPS shows 2019. Hook to PC, GE still saying it's up to date with 2021. Any other suggestions?

• I'm wondering what would happen if I removed the gmapprom.img, dated 3/8/18. Rebooted and reconnected. Would that do an actual install?

I've tried the reinstall, but it flys through it in a minute(2021 map is already on PC from my 396).

On another PC, I uninstalled the 2021 map from PC, but the reinstall (to device) went exactly as it did with the PC that had 2021 installed when I tried to reinstall.

• So I removed the gmapprom file. Didn't do any good. While GPS showed no cnna 2019, GE still said I was up to date and had 2021 maps. Reinstall flew through in a minute which didn't put in a new map file. So I just copied old map file back to 61 and it shows cnna 2019 again.

Unless you've got other ideas(such as copying my 2021 map file from my 396 over to 61, but have no idea if it'd show or work). I guess I'll visit with Garmin support next week.

In Basecamp, I do get an option to have map update install 2021 to the 61. I didn't do this as I figured it'd leave 2019 on there as well. I wasn't sure if I could remove old map after new one is installed.

Then there's the issue with the 61 having 2019,1 Foursquare and parkopedia. I don't know what/what these files are, or how they would get current as well.

• That's all very strange.  The FourSuare and parkopedia are basically POI files, you can deselect them in myMaps should you wish to. Copying the map files won't work as you also need the unlock files, and sending the map from BaseCamp isn't a good idea as it only sends the map file, and not the other bits your device uses, eg junction view.

It'll be fascinating to hear what Garmin say, this is a new one on me.

• Keeping my fingers crossed.... It's been updating via wifi for about 3 hours, and the blue bar is about 3/4 finished.

I never did try to install to PC to see if that's cause any different reaction since the 2021 map is already on that PC.

• I noticed this yesterday during first wifi update attempt. It failed early on, but said it was trying or I could use GE and cancel.

Yesterday I cancelled. Was in the office doing some paper work, it was updating. Next thing I knew it had the same failure/trying message so I just left it alone. Pretty soon it starts again, where it had left off.

I'll assume this has happened numerous times and why it's taking a long time.

• Wifi finished updating. 61 shows 2021 for CNNA, Foursquare and park. Doing this the 2021 map replaced the 2019, so not much storage loss.

I believe I see why GE wouldn't see 2019(or maybe not). After the wifi update, I realized there were 3 gmapprom files, 2 of which that weren't there before. The .unl and .gma. 

When I first hooked 61 up to.pc, I'd copied GPS contents to PC before doing anything else. I went to my original content folder and .img was the only gmapprom file listed.

Might explain why initial GE up list the map update odd(and extremely small) when I viewed the 6 updates it wanted to install.

Also noticed a discrepancy between the 2019 and 2021 maps.

On my zumo 396, I'd updated immediately, then when driving home, leaving town, the speed limit didn't increase from 40 to 65. It stayed as posted 40 for my 3 miles ofhof  headed east. When I'd go to town, getting on highway headed west, it showed post speed limit of 65...

With the 61, on 2019 map, it immediately changed from 40 to 65, heading home(east), as is marked on the highway.

After 2021 map update, 61 now shows 40 mphfor my 3 miles of highway when heading east instead of posted 65.

• Probably won't go anywhere, but Garmin opened a case on the previous issue. Sent GE logs in and original Garmin device.xml in.

The support person I spoke with was telling me my unit wouldn't operate the map without having the gmsppron.gma or .unl(unlock file), but unless those files are hidden away elsewhere, they weren't in the .support folder, only the gmapprom.img file and of course the gmapbmap.img, and gmaptz.img

• I take it you mean .system folder?

The main map file is normally named gmapprom.img and the person you spoke to is correct, there should be corresponding .unl and .gma files.