This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express: Install map on computer leads to error: There was an error installing the update.

Garmin Express V6.21.0.0 is installed on Windows 10 PC. In Garmin Express the device zumo 395LM was added, software and map successfully updated on the device. So far all is good, the device is up to date.
But I cannot install the same map version (used "Install on computer" in Garmin Express) to Windows 10 PC for use of the map with Garmin basecamp.
I am aware that I can plan routes with the Zumo device connected to PC, but would like to do it without the device connected.

Any suggestion what could be done to have the map installed on PC ? Thanks in advance

• Why can you not install it? Explain how you tried to and where it failed as we aren't looking over your shoulder, you need to help us if we're to help you Slight smile

1. Zumo 395 connected to Garmin Express
    2. Map Options selected
    3. Install to Computer selected – Terms and Conditions show up 
    4. Accept clicked - next window
    5. Press Continue – Step 1 of 2 Initializing shows up –
    6. Garmin Express Elevated Installer window -
      Question “Do you want this app tpo make changes to your device?
    7. After clicking Yes the error message “There was an error installing the update” shows up.
  • Hello SUSSAMB,

thanks for your hint so far.

Checked the FAQ of https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=GuclsqmdI02dC0ULxHR2T6

And went thru the 14 steps of resolution (e.g.reset router, switched of fire wall, run as admin, re-installed Garmin Express),

so far without success, .

As described before:
    6) Elevated Installer window Question “Do you want this app to make changes to your device?
    7) After clicking yes the error message “There was an error installing the update” is shown.

The only indication I found from the FAQ was,

that Windows 10 does not assign letters to the Zumo 395: Internal storage and Memory card

The file system for both shows: Generic  hierarchical

See screen shot

I do not know, whether that is relevant, since the installation to the zumo 395 device works fine, my problem is the installation to the Windows computer.

Since this has worked some months ago, I am close to putting in my Windows 10 repair disk and see whether this helps.

If you have another idea, this would be appreciated,

Many thanks in advance.

• Unfortunately I don't 

• Have my files backed up and will restart with a clean version of Windows 10.

Will let you know, whether the new installation solved my "install map to computer"-problem.

• Just to close the loop, here is what solved my the problem.

1. Make sure to have backup of your files

2.Windows 10: Settings / Update & Security / Recovery / Reset this PC - Get started

3. 2 Options:
         1) Keep my files: removes apps and settings, but keeps your personal files
         2) Remove everything

4. Selected Option 1

5. Ready to reset this PC - Click Reset

From here it runs automatically for about 1 hour with some restarts (no user interaction needed)

6. Windows shows up with login - Window.

All my files still there, all users still there

7. Install Garmin Express

Add device: zumo 395 added and registered to my Garmin account

Install map to computer - runs smoothly and map shows up in folder on my c:-drive

Add 2nd older device: nüvi 1390  

Install map to computer - runs smoothly and map shows up in folder on my c:-drive

8. Install BaseCamp - in BaseCamp the maps are available and unlocked

All fine. 

Now I "only" need to install my other apps.

Small remark to my observation on how the Garmin devices show up in Explorer:

The zumo 395 did not get drive letters assigned, just shows up as a folder without drive letter, with sub-folders Internal Storage and Memory Card

My older device nüvi 1390 shows up with 2 drive letters assigned for Internal Storage and Memory Card.

• Glad you resolved it, seems like you had a Windows issue.  The reason for the difference is that older devices are mass storage devices, so you see drive letters, newer devices work in MTP mode, so you don't.

• Yes, agreed. The trouble is that my Windows issue showed up only with Garmin Express and all the rest ran OKAY.